Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2011
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
Greetings From Texas

Howdy.

I want to buy a sailboat. What's the biggest boat I should get to sail around the world?

Just kidding...I've been lurking for a bit, reading and researching many of the great topics on this board. Growing up in a powerboat family with lake houses, was always a skier...only went sailing once when I was nine. It was on a Hobie Cat and all I remember was it was fast, dad and the owner were hanging off the side, and I just held on for dear life...it was like sitting on my trampoline at a scary angle, hauling across the lake.

A month ago a friend took me sailing on his beautiful Catalina 36, pretty new one I think. After a few hours of "lessons" and pulling sheets, I finally got to take the helm.

Everything changed.

As I was steering that magnificent vessel, looking ahead to the wind patterns on the lake, anticipating gusts, being at one with the wind, lake, boat.....the soft sound of clanking, flapping, water lapping....I suddenly realized what I've been missing in my 45 years. I could do that forever.

Now I'm shopping for my first boat. I've gone back and forth with myself over a trailer sailor, day sailor, or a small weekend cruiser. I want something small to learn in, but it also must have a galley, head, and enough cabin for a weekend aboard. I've priced marina's around (have quite a long list if anyone is interested) and insurance, all within budget. I don't want to spend alot of cash on my first boat. If I keep at it, then maybe 3 years down the line I'll drop some serious bux on a boat.

I'm looking for a Catalina 25 or 27....as an example...I've looked at Pearson, Oday, Hunter, Kirby, Tartan, Chrysler, Cal, and many others....I like the layout of the Cat's the best...well, actually the Islanders seem to have the most beautiful interiors but they're out of my price range. ($4500)

I bought Bob Bond's Handbook of Sailing, and that gave me a good base. I'm digging deeper by studying the Annapolis Book....and for fun reading the Joshua Slocum story (can't put that one down). I'm very fortunate in that one of my best friends races J boats, and has for years. He recently sold his J109 due to divorce, and he's helping me with advice and will teach me to sail. He will also look over any boat I intend to buy and advise if I should go ahead with a survey or not.

Hopefully I'll find something soon. I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, so my lakes are: Grapevine, Eagle Mountain, Texoma. There are many others, I know, but these come as the most highly recommended for sailing, and my location in NE Fort Worth.

Scott
(AKA Joe Diver - Scuba Instructor for fun)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Welcome aboard

I learned to sail in Texas (Houston, Galveston Bay).
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 03-01-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
Howdy.

As I was steering that magnificent vessel, looking ahead to the wind patterns on the lake, anticipating gusts, being at one with the wind, lake, boat.....the soft sound of clanking, flapping, water lapping....I suddenly realized what I've been missing in my 45 years. I could do that forever.

(AKA Joe Diver - Scuba Instructor for fun)
Oh brother. You've got it bad. I suggest you rent "Captain Ron" and maybe watch THIS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-01-2011
SERIOUS SAILOR

I love Captain Ron! One of those movies you can watch anytime it's on, or have on in the background....tons of one liners from that one. That boat was beautiful.

Crossing the Pacific....yeah, um, no....don't think I'm gonna do that anytime soon. Looks like quite an adventure though. I'll be quite content to sail my local lake, overnight in a cove or at the marina.
Old 03-01-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Watching Captain Ron taught Vega how to sail. Right Vega??

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 03-06-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperanteau View Post
Watching Captain Ron taught Vega how to sail. Right Vega??
Consider it the definitive text, especially on docking and navigation

Old 08-25-2011

OPossumTX is on a distinguished road
Good ol' Cap'n Ron! An unforgettable character!

Have FUN!
O'
Old 08-26-2011
SERIOUS SAILOR

;-) Recognize the part of the movie I captured my avatar?

I ended up with an '82 Catalina 25, fixed keel....and I'm well into single handing and weekending. Although, the last month+ has seen extreme heat here in Texas so I haven't been out much at all. It's just too hot. Another few weeks though and some great weather is just ahead. Perfect because I've put alot of time into my baby restoring systems, cleaning, refinishing, stocking/equipping her......when I want to weekend I just show up with a change of clothes, some food for the galley and drinks in the cooler. Leave Friday evening and come back Sunday night....all good!

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas