Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2011

JordanH is on a distinguished road
Almost a skipper

Hi All,

I've been a long time reader but have been waiting until I became an official boat owner before contributing or opining... I broke that rule today so this is my second post, in for a penny, in for a pound.

I'm about to become the owner of a 1983 Contessa 26 - pending my surveyor's approval of course. I've been looking for it for years and finally pulled the trigger; Signing the offer to purchase was way more nerve wracking than buying a house, car, motorcycle or any other more expensive purchase I've made. Perhaps it's the commitment factor...

I suppose I should introduce myself; I'm 34 and fell in love with sailboats while working for a few weeks in BVI a number of years ago - not sailing, but the boats themselves. I decided that if I would be buying a boat, I better learn to sail! I've spent a number of years doing that, through courses like CYA dinghy sailing and CYA keelboat etc. But my real education has come from reading as many books as I can find and then putting that book knowledge into practice on as many boats as I can find; I regularly race-crew on a Farr(Mumm) 30, IMX38 and sometimes a J22. I've put in many hours skippering on 24' Sharks, and have tried my hand on a J24 in over 20 knots in St. Lucia - I didn't realize docking a J24 for the first time, upwind in 20 knots with no motor was a feat until later! ha. Anyway, I've tested various other forms of Hobie Cats, Lasers, larger Beneteaus, 28-32 miscellaneous sailboats before finally deciding that "My boat" was a Contessa 26. Down the road, perhaps a Contessa 32 or over 30' Nonsuch, but for now, I dream small. I digress. What I mean to say is that all of the learning, the reading, the practical experience and advice has taught me that I don't know much about sailing and need to keep learning.

Here I am, still listening to the old salts and hopefully one day will be one myself.
Hi!
Jordan.

p.s. I still have no Blue Water sailing under my belt but hope to be taken on as crew someday for the experience. If you're looking for crew next fall or winter, feel free to get to know me over the next few months and perhaps something will work out - it always does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.