SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Almost a skipper

651 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  JordanH 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I've been a long time reader but have been waiting until I became an official boat owner before contributing or opining... I broke that rule today so this is my second post, in for a penny, in for a pound.

I'm about to become the owner of a 1983 Contessa 26 - pending my surveyor's approval of course. I've been looking for it for years and finally pulled the trigger; Signing the offer to purchase was way more nerve wracking than buying a house, car, motorcycle or any other more expensive purchase I've made. Perhaps it's the commitment factor...

I suppose I should introduce myself; I'm 34 and fell in love with sailboats while working for a few weeks in BVI a number of years ago - not sailing, but the boats themselves. I decided that if I would be buying a boat, I better learn to sail! I've spent a number of years doing that, through courses like CYA dinghy sailing and CYA keelboat etc. But my real education has come from reading as many books as I can find and then putting that book knowledge into practice on as many boats as I can find; I regularly race-crew on a Farr(Mumm) 30, IMX38 and sometimes a J22. I've put in many hours skippering on 24' Sharks, and have tried my hand on a J24 in over 20 knots in St. Lucia - I didn't realize docking a J24 for the first time, upwind in 20 knots with no motor was a feat until later! ha. Anyway, I've tested various other forms of Hobie Cats, Lasers, larger Beneteaus, 28-32 miscellaneous sailboats before finally deciding that "My boat" was a Contessa 26. Down the road, perhaps a Contessa 32 or over 30' Nonsuch, but for now, I dream small. I digress. What I mean to say is that all of the learning, the reading, the practical experience and advice has taught me that I don't know much about sailing and need to keep learning.

Here I am, still listening to the old salts and hopefully one day will be one myself.
Hi!
Jordan.

p.s. I still have no Blue Water sailing under my belt but hope to be taken on as crew someday for the experience. If you're looking for crew next fall or winter, feel free to get to know me over the next few months and perhaps something will work out - it always does.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.