Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2011

brncman is on a distinguished road
Smile Hello from new member

Just signed up. Thinking about getting back on the water after about 40 years. I grew up around power boats, sailed only on Sunfish and Sailfish. Since college my only sailing experience has been a BVI charter trip on a cat, with someone aboard who knew what he was doing. So, my knowledge of sailing is practically zero.

I have a million questions. Here are two:

What are the relative pros/cons of a center cockpit vs aft cockpit?

If I buy a boat, I will be sailing it off the coasts of NC and SC. Charleston, Beaufort, Oriental. Any downside (or upside) to buying a used boat which has been in fresh water?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Guess what. Most here have a million answers, too. I only have a fraction of the experience that some here have (about 400 hours sailing and around 1300 miles) but I can tell you that you have come to the right place.

We have owned both center and aft cockpits. Our fourth and final boat will probably be a center cockpit. They seem to have the advantage of being drier than the aft cockpit, but I'm not sure about the blue water capabilities of most. That is a real concern.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 04-09-2011

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
brncman,

Welcome back! I started sailing a couple of years ago at age 46 . . .should have started sooner, when the boys were younger.

Will you be trailering or mooring? Trailering has it's advantages and drawbacks but I prefer it. Cost is huge! As far as the fresh water thing goes, it stands to reason that a fresh water boat would have less corrosion around those hidden gadgets that fail and ruin your day, or you spar, or your career. Fresh water boats probably have been beaten less too. I'm sure some lakes (Great) get ocean-like swells but for the most part, I think 8'-0 waves are reserved for saltier venues. My dream boat (Other than Barbara Eden) is a Catalina 27 or 30 in the 1986 range. I love that boat. You can pick up a nice one for around $15000 so they're affordable and they are said to be a quality and nimble boat.

Fair Winds

Don,

Biddeford, Maine