Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011
boatless

Location: The Great Northwest where the rain falls mainly on my brain
dnb is on a distinguished road
Boatless in Seattle

Introduction? Okay!

Aging white male, married with teens and a love for the water. Spouse abides my interests but not quite the same love. I guess I am a somewhet reformed power boater, as I have owned a string of Boston Whalers to run around the lakes and Puget Sound in WA State. Presently boatless.

Every few years I get the itch for a sailboat. I've got that itch again. Seriously, I doubt it is gonna happen anytime soon, but we can all dream, can't we? And it is not for a lack of finances, but for a lack of time and lack of interest by the lovely missus...

Anyway, I figure I have 6-7 years, and "I am outta here!" from the Northwest. Too much gloom and rain around here -- I need more sun! By the time we get to 4-5 years, I want to have seriously narrowed down a boat to go cruising the west coast, thru the canal, and into the Carribbean. Then down the east coast of central and South America. From there, who knows...

I have done some sailing on Lake Michigan in the past on a Cape Dory 28 (?) and a string of boats a friend has owned, but it has been many years now. I plan on taking the ASA courses starting this spring with the obvious Keelboat 101, though I feel confident I could easily handle most boats in the mid 20 foot range by myself in good to average condidtions. Call me a fair weather sailer who has grown rusty over time.

In the end, I feel pretty confident I want a CC cutter-style boat of about 40 feet +/-. I hope to learn a lot hanging around here, but probably have not too much to add at present.

Anyway, my second post will be somewhere more appropriate asking some questions about CC style boats for blue water cruising. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2011
boatless

Location: The Great Northwest where the rain falls mainly on my brain
dnb is on a distinguished road
PS. If there are any daysailers looking for crew during the week in the Seattle area, I am usually available!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook