A few things for your to consider:
1. Get out of KS and move to the area where a lot of sailboats around by the ocean.
2. Capitalize your skills in carpentry, make money efficiently.
3. If you earn 100 dollars, save 95 dollars. I know it is hard, but you get the picture. It is old fashion, but it is a sure way.
4. Don't get marry and don't have kids.
5. Learn how to cook and don't eat out and don't eat junk food.
5A. Drive a beat up car and never lease a car.
5B. Never borrow money for toys or vacation
6. Good formal education is needed, don't overlook its importance. It is the foundation for developing your critical thinking skills. When in emergency, you will be glad that you have the skills to make the right decision.
7. Find a sailing club for networking and learning
8. Crewing as much as you can for others
9. Be patient and remain focused.
Be glad that you are still young, the sky is the limit. Go for it. Gook luck and please report back in 3 years.