Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2011

Armchairsailor2 is on a distinguished road
Advice for newcomer to BC

Hi there. I'm new around here, although some of you may know me from the YBW Scuttlebutt.

I'm going to be emigrating this summer to Vancouver and am looking to get afloat once there, so I'm on the scrounge for as much advice and local knowledge as I can get.

My experience has been in sailing our family boat around the Menai Straits, in Wales (v. tidal) since the grand age of 6 weeks old, and sporadically dodging around in the Forth, under the famous bridge, over the past few years. I've never done a practical exam, but have a shorebased qualification under my belt, never saw a kicking strap on a boat bigger than a dinghy until I was about 37 and always hanked on my jib, so to speak. So, I'm definitely at the lo-tech end of things, although I'm looking to upgrade to more modern when I get my own boat.

Advice on what sort of boats to look at would be good - 27-30' & no more than $15-20k is my target range, with the Whitby 25 (I know...), CS-27, Ericson 29 and the like currently being shortlisted. My knowledge of sailboats built in the US and Canada is limited to what I can find on the net, so first hand opinions would be welcomed.

I'd also like to get as much information as I can on the sailing grounds over there, and how best to get onto them. I think I'll probably do some crewing this year and look at a purchase next, so a friendly yacht club with an active racing and cruising program would be a must for me, as would be recommendations for pilot books and charts to whet my appetite.

Thanks in anticipation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
The Pacific Northwest (as the Americans call it) is a great place to sail.

I have not sailed any of the boats you mention, but a friend had a CS 27 they quite liked. Take a look at Yachtworld.com to see what is available.

Cruising guides.

Inexpensive - Northwest Boat Travel Northwest Boating Northwest Boat Travel On-Line, Waggoner The Waggoner Cruising Guide, Annual Guide to Northwest Boating from Weatherly Press

Expensive, bit worth it - The Dreamspeaker Series. (Boating Destinations in the Pacific Northwest | Dreamspeaker Guides)

Official publication - Sailing Directions from the Canadian Hydrographic Service Sailing Directions - British Columbia coast (South Portion) Volume 1, Seventeenth Edition, 2004

Yacht clubs can run from very expensive to something more reasonable:
CYA Member's Area

Feel free to fire away with more questions.

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 06-13-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Welcome, you should be looking forward to sailing/cruising here in BC. Where are you going to be based?

I don't know any unhappy CS owners... of any size. So that's a good sign. The early models have their roots deeply into 'merry old', with the designer Ray Wall having moved here from Camper Nicholson. You could do much worse, but there are other equally viable options once you get here, and the boat market in the PNW United States is quite good esp if you're shopping with Canadian money these days. Boats found in the Puget Sound area are easy on-their-own-bottom deliveries.

You're coming into one of the world's premier cruising grounds and just in time for summer. Jack's posted some good links to information and options.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-13-2011

Thanks chaps - I had hoped that you two would chip in as I've noticed you are both good on the local knowledge front. We're not sure exactly where we're going to be based- ideally it would be the island, but given that I have a job offer in New Westminster, working 2 weeks out of 4 from FSJ (not close to the sea, or my family) and we have to find somewhere to set up a stud, we're thinking possibly Maple Ridge/ Langley/ Fort Langley at the moment, depending on how much we can afford. Ask me again in a couple of weeks time, once we've done landfall and met with the bank!

Thanks for the reading material Jack. I've got a few of those in my amazon wishlist, but shall be adding to that forthwith...

I agree with the CS yachts - I'm looking at a certain CN 30 on Yachtworld at the moment, and went from there in my researches to the CS's. I agree, they certainly seem to have a reputation for underlying quality, which I like if going for a MAB.

I have previously been told of the Tiddly Cove YC as a friendly place (without some of the insane membership price tags that are out there). Have you any knowledge of that or other clubs that might be more accessible to mere mortals?

Faster - is the Fast the same as the South African Fasts? I crewed a 42 a couple of years back and had a lot of fun.
Old 06-13-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
AC2

The Fast is not the South African one, rather it's Brazilian, now out of production however it's orginally a C&N design by Ron Holland.

Tiddly Cove is a racing convenience club - many regattas require a membership of a recognized club to qualify. If you're looking for a good cruising club I recommend the Gulf Yacht Club - a cruising club with about 100 memberships, monthly meetings Sept to June, monthly cruising rendezvous' pretty much year round. I'll be happy to introduce you in Sept if you like. This club has no assets, no floats, no facilities (nor does TCYC) but it's a great group and only $100/yr.

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 06-13-2011

Many thanks for the offer - I'll bear it in mind. We'll get settled in and see how we go - so many things in the air just now. Our realtor has offered me a sail out of VRC, which I'm hugely looking forward to!
Old 06-13-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I recommend the Gulf Yacht Club
Really? Never heard of them before.... is there a website?
Old 06-13-2011

It doesn't appear to be working. There is an snailmail address however. (That's sooo 20th century...!)
Old 06-13-2011
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLein View Post
Really? (Gulf Yacht Club) Never heard of them before.... is there a website?
Weird.. there is a web site.. we just renewed our domain name but I guess something's gone wrong with that. The site is in committee for a major overhaul but the old one should be online still.

Will look into it (monthly meeting tonight)..stay tuned.

Adam.. meetings tonight at 8 pm at the Maritime Museum (right after the Canucks win the cup!! )

Old 06-13-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Hm, tempting! Maybe next month. Meantime I will keep an eye open for the website.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.