Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2011
Leelan

leelan is on a distinguished road
New Guy.. Lots of Questions

Name's Leelan.. thanks for having me, the gal behind the registry counter was super gentle...)
Im here for some information on an adventure I have been cooking up for some time now and would love to learn about the ways of the boat.
I suppose its probably a cliche by now but after 5 years of travel while serving in the Corps, and another 5 years living in the civilian world, I am ready to move on with another great journey.

Thinking of purchasing a reasonably priced sailboat..something that can comfortably keep me and my dog happy while I work the coastal tourist spots along the way. First destination is right here in san francisco where i currently live. ultimately I would like to make the trip to the Med sea and link up with some friends I havent seen there since 2000. Hoping to live and work near croatia and travel the sea.

So... how crazy is this for a single guy and his dog to pull it off?
could I make the trip from SF to the MED solo?
what size boat and what type would you recommend?
what unknown costs aside from the boat and life raft could I expect to pay for the ocean voyage?

any advice to get me started would be awesome.

Glad to be here folks, I look forward to learning as much as I can.

Leelan

Last edited by leelan; 06-25-2011 at 04:47 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard, thanks for your service.
You can do it, but you have to learn about boats and cruising, and decide what suits you. Start by trying to go sailing on other people's boats, and reading all you can find about cruising. some people have cruised in dinghies, others in simple modest cruisers, others in superyachts. My choice is fairly simple, on an old boat without extensive amenities. Learn this like you did everything in your life: gradually and sytematically.
See you on the water.
Old 06-25-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
It's crazy, just crazy. But then, we're all crazy here and have been planning or doing something similar, so you're in good (or perhaps bad) company.

Welcome, and enjoy all the great advice you'll get in this forum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 06-25-2011
Relapsing

ArcherBowman is on a distinguished road
Answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelan View Post
So... how crazy is this for a single guy and his dog to pull it off?
could I make the trip from SF to the MED solo?
what size boat and what type would you recommend?
what unknown costs aside from the boat and life raft could I expect to pay for the ocean voyage?

any advice to get me started would be awesome.

Glad to be here folks, I look forward to learning as much as I can.
Leelan
Leelan -
It's mildly crazy, but you have to be crazy to do this at all, so that's no big deal.

As is typical around here, when you ask a question, you get lots of advice, but few people actually answer the QUESTIONS you asked. So I'm going to give it a shot.

Yes - you are crazy, but you'll fit in fine among sailors. We have to be nuts to do this.

What size and type of boat: for one man, single-handing, I recommend the Contessa 32. (Contessa 32 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) DISCLAIMER: I have never sailed a Contessa 32, and recommend her on reputation only. I do this because a 32 is small enough to single hand, and the Contessa 32 has an awesome reputation for not allowing you to sink it.

Unknown costs: If you are single handing, you will want a radar with a LOUD proximity alarm. Even a fast crossing takes weeks, a single hander has to sleep. Moorings and refit on the other side. A crossing is hard on a boat. Be prepared to spend substantial money prepping your boat for the return voyage or sell it and fly home. Communications - how important is it to be in touch with home while at sea? You can spend a lot of money doing this.

That's just for starters - you have a LOT of research ahead of you. Here are some suggestions: Capable Cruiser (Lin & Larry Pardley), This Old Boat (Don Casey) and that's just for starters. Hit me up with more specific questions, and I'll try to find you a reference.

"It ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of sailing is? Love. You take a boat in to sea that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her afloat when she oughtta founder... tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens… makes her a home." Captain Malcom Reynolds, Paraphrased
Old 06-26-2011
Leelan

leelan is on a distinguished road
Wow guys.. thanks for all the speedy replies. This is just what I need to get started. I'll check in with ya's as the ?'s pop up.
Old 06-26-2011

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
Leelan,

When you're getting set to go, consider including a sailing companion for crossing the pond. Somebody with bluewater experience that doesn't mind going his/her own way over there or being flown back so you can meander the mythical shores by your lonesome. Make sure the dog like him though.