Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2011

jonny5 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to jonny5
Ahoy! (sorry for the cliche greeting)

Thanks for letting me be a member of your cool community!
I definitely wouldn't consider myself a sailor, as I've only been on the water maybe 30 days total, all before I was a teenager. However, my desire to sail is pretty intense these days. Living in Utah doesn't really help the situation. Yes, there is lake sailing here, but I'm more interested in the adventure and journey of open sea sailing, where the destination isn't the dock that you left 3 hours ago.
My limited experience might be a pretty big block in my goals, but I'd like to learn more about sailing by being a crew member for a boat delivery or cruise somewhere along the west coast (CA to HI, AK, South America, etc). Is this sort of thing common? Am I just dreaming? I'm extremely flexible with start point, destination, and time frame.
Anyway, here's the basics: I'm a 34 year old male, adventurous, extremely hard working, physically fit, patient, and ready for a challenge... and I do pretty well with Spanish. Sorry, that probably sounds like something from match.com.
From the forums I've been reading, everyone seems pretty incredible- providing good advice and support to even the new folks. So hopefully you all aren't too harsh on me Any suggestions or comments will be well received and taken seriously, so 'thanks' ahead of time.

My brief sailing experience includes:
USVI bareboat charters
Baja bareboat charter
SF Bay daytrips
Lake sailing- Lake tahoe, Great Salt Lake, Jordanelle Reservoir

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-04-2011

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
Jonny 5 . . . "that's cool",

I am assuming you know that movie reference.

Welcome to the family. I understand what you mean about lake sailing. I sail northern New England waters, Maine to be exact. When I hear about lake or river sailing, "Why bother" pops into mind. I guess I'm an ocean snob, a salt bigot. There must be the possibility of 8 foot seas and 30 knot winds. (we rarely see that!) Still, if the choice was lake sailing or not sailing, sign me up for fresh water! But not for Match.com. After nearly 30 years of marriage, I still think she has a cute butt.

If your open to so much flexibility . . . move. Find a coast, buy a boat, run charters for coeds on spring break.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook