Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2011

petey256 is on a distinguished road
Evans 16 owner

Hi, My name is Mike and I recently purchased an Evans 16 sailboat, supposedly built by Whitby. I am new to sailing and am searching for information about my boat, the builder and other owners. I started a yahoo group today and posted some pics of my boat. The users group is a yahoo group called Evans16. I can not post the link as I am a new member today and am not allowed to. I would apperciate any info and or help about this boat. I am looking for help with the rigging. I did not take these photos the previous owner did and I can really tell how the boom vang is rigged ( such as where it starts and ends as well as where it is tied off. I dont evan know if this is rigged correctly. I have been out sailing 2 or 3 times on different boats with different people for short pierods of time. I found I liked it and want to sail myself. I am 56 years old and live in Jacksonville Florida so I have access to the St johns river as well as some lakes such as Doctors lake and also the Ortega River.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2011

amcnewman is on a distinguished road
Congratulations on the purchase of your new boat. I have had an Evans 16 for 5 years and love it. The boat sails like a bigger boat. I sail on Lake Ontario very comfortably. When you say boom vang I assume you mean main sheet. I will take a picture of mine and post it. I joined your Yahoo group and saw a picture of your main sheet and yes it is a little backwards.

Last edited by amcnewman; 07-03-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-03-2011

Main Sheet

Here is my main sheet.
Attached Thumbnails
Evans 16 owner-boat-001.jpg  
Old 07-03-2011

Boat picture

amcnewman Hi and thans for posting the picture it answered my questions about how to rig the boom, almost. I understand the picture you sent. My boom has a third pully on iy on the end. There are two cleats on the port and starboard aft end of my boat. Do you know what this pully is for and could I be missing something? Is it possible for you to post a picture of the aft end of yours. Do you know who the builder is or any information about the years it was made or what the draft is with the centerboard down? I had a 24' Irwin for a short time but it was rigged different. I am from Rochester New York. I grew up around lake Ontario and did alot of fishing in it. I did alot of boating and fishing in the finger lakes. Thanks Mike

Last edited by petey256; 07-03-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-03-2011

I believe the pulley you are referring to is used to feed a running line attached to the clew of the sail. There should also be a cleat attached to the boom a little farther forward, this allows you to adjust the tension on the foot of the sail. (I have attached a picture and circled the pulley in question) Myself, I tighten once at the beginning of the season and forget about it. The two cleats at the aft of the boat are to tie to the dock. I hope you enjoy your boat. I have only ever seen one other Evans 16 in person. I have been approached many times by previous owners who recognize the model have fond memories. I would assume the boat is more rare down there.

Mark.
Attached Thumbnails
Evans 16 owner-running-line.jpg  
Old 07-04-2011

Evans16

Thanks for the information. You have helped alot. The user group I started on yahoo has a new member who posted a lot of pictures of his boat if you want to take a look. The user group is Evans 16. Thanks Mike
Old 07-05-2011

new question

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcnewman View Post
I believe the pulley you are referring to is used to feed a running line attached to the clew of the sail. There should also be a cleat attached to the boom a little farther forward, this allows you to adjust the tension on the foot of the sail. (I have attached a picture and circled the pulley in question) Myself, I tighten once at the beginning of the season and forget about it. The two cleats at the aft of the boat are to tie to the dock. I hope you enjoy your boat. I have only ever seen one other Evans 16 in person. I have been approached many times by previous owners who recognize the model have fond memories. I would assume the boat is more rare down there.

Mark.
Looking at your picture raises some new questions. The end of your boom has rwo lines running up towards the mast. These lines, are they cables or rope as I dont have any on mine. Also does your main sail have sail slides or does your sail slide in the mast slot by itself. I raised the mast yesterday but had to make an extension that mounted on the transom to help me do it. I raised the jib today and found it to be fairly easy. When I went to raise the main sail the boom bends down to the deck cause there is nothing holding up the end of it opposite the mast. The only way I can see to mount the sail to the mast and to the boom is by sliding the sail into the slots.
Im going to lower the mast and take a closer look at the top. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks petey256
Old 07-05-2011

What you see is a topping lift I installed (see picture). I tied a thin line to the top of the mast and extended the other end to about 30" away from the end of the boom and attached a pulley to that end. I then attached a second line to the end of the boom then fed it through that pulley back towards the end of the boom through an existing pulley attached to the boom then tied to a cleat attached further along the boom. This topping lift allows me to easily adjust the boom up and down but more importantly holds the boom up when the sail is down otherwise the boom would just fall to the deck.
As for your second question my main sail does not have sliders, it has a bolt rope sewn inside the sail that is fed into the mast. It's a bit of a pain because it binds alot when raising the sail. The fellow who stores his boat beside me (similar boat but not an Evans) had a bolt rope but recently had sliders sewn on and the sliders work way better. I think he said it cost around $150.00
Attached Thumbnails
Evans 16 owner-topping-lift.jpg  
Old 07-05-2011

answers my questions

Thank you that clears things up and explained why the boom just stays on the deck. I wonder why the previous owner did not install one. My sail is the same as yours so it will have to slide inside the mast. I wonder if wax or something would make it easier to hoist. Well forget wax cause here in Florida it would just melt, but maybe something else. I will have to figure a way to mount something on top of the mast or drill a hole to put a rope through so I can run it to the boom. Thanks for the info and drawing I will start working on it tomorrow. I posted a few photos of me raising the mast, well actually I was lowering it. In the Evans user group. Thanks again
Mike
Old 07-25-2011

Neilio11 is on a distinguished road
Hello gentlemen

I too have just purchased an Evan's 16' in Toronto this month. I have towed it to the cottage and "started" the rigging process this past weekend. I have not even got to the sails part. Do either of you have a rigging manual? I have no idea what goes where and sadly have no point of reference. If either of you could take pics of your boats from front to back and especially close-ups of the sails, pulleys, cleats and cockpit rigging, I would really appreciate it.
Loved your idea of running a line from the top of the mast to the end of the boom to keep it up off the deck when not rigged. Sadly, that would mean having to drop the mast down (again) to tie that off, but it is all part of the learling curve.
Any help either of you have is more than welcome. I just want to get her out on the water and toot around.
Thanks Neilio11

Last edited by Neilio11; 07-25-2011 at 01:32 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.