SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

New to Sailing not boating.

742 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  RatHatDiver 
#1 ·
Dropping the power and moving on to sailing. Been a waterman for 35 years and I want to become a competent sail boat captain :rolleyes:
I will be 50 this year so if I get started now I should be good to go get out of dodge when the wife and I retire.

#3 ·
Four years ago, I was in the same place. Grew up on and around powerboats, worked on powerboats, owned powerboats, but had only been on sailboats three times (two of which were on a sunfish). We bought our first sailbaot, 30ft., read a lot, watched videos, then had someone with knowledge take us out a few times. Definately a learning curve, but not rocket science. Just make sure you are comfortable with not always being able to go to certain destinations given weather and time constraints. If you agree that being on a sail boat is the destination, then you will love it. I also love ribbing our friends with powerboats about how little fuel we use. Good to still have friends on power boats, though, for those days when it is really hot and no wind, and you want to go out for swim or a trip to a local restaurant. Best of success on the switch.

#4 ·
Thanks for the kind words guys. Were looking at water ballast keels and one we can trailer. You guys no the models in that class. May not be the best sailors, but a good place to start for a couple years. Going to look at a 07 26mg with all the right gear, as good as you can make an mg I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.