Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2011

elliotb is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to elliotb
Greetings!

Hello all,

My name is Elliot, I'm 34, and live in Cambridge, MA. I've been sailing at Community Boating in Boston for a few years, and I recently decided to try my hand at some bigger boats and took the ASA 101/103/104 sequence. I'd like to start bareboat chartering some time soon, but I'm looking to gain some experience first. If anyone knows of good ways to get sailing practice in the Boston area (either daysailing or weekend-long cruises) that won't break the bank, please enlighten me!

Thanks.

- Elliot
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Sail Clubs

Welcome Elliot.

The least expensive way I found to get onto a boat was to join a local sail club. Before I bought my first boat and wanted to see if I'd like it enough to make the investment, I paid $40 dues to a local club and crewed during a few races and then during meetings and social events I listened in as members talked about their boats. Do some research and find a club with a mix of boats. The one I belong to has both trailer boats and cruisers so members without boats have options. We'll be taking on two members who want experience with a larger boat for an overnight trip next month.

For more $, some clubs own their own fleet and allow qualified skippers to use the boats. It's pricey but still not as much as boat ownership.

I also know someone who barters for time on the water. He is a general contractor and also does upholstery work.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Tags
bareboat , boston , crew available