Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2011
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
For her policy or yours?
What do you think, Chief? For her of course. . Women out live men for at least 20 years. My Mum outlives my father more than 20 years and counting.

Nature is telling us something about women.

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
I think you'll find that a lot of Sense 50 owners are 1st timers. The key to any undertaking, as you know, is planning, patience and the ability to be taught. Doesn't matter to me what anyone says; always, I will say it again, ALWAYS buy the biggest boat you can afford and sail her well.

That's a beautiful boat, and if you get it and have troubles getting someone to crew, you can always swing by the West Coast of Florida and I'd be happy to help out for a weekend.....or 50.
Old 08-17-2011

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
One thing to consider. If you plan to keep your 50 footer for very many years, starting at age 60, you need to think about what you'll be able to handle physically at 65, or 70. You are reaching the age, like it or not, that your physically abilities (strength and stamina) are going to decline, sometimes rapidly as you age. Who is going to wash that baby? Are you ever going to take down that big heavy mainsail? A big boat like that is beautiful, but there's lots of work there. Of course, buying a 50 footer to start means you have big bucks, so maybe you'll hire out all those tasks, and going a step further, hire a captain and crew.
Old 08-18-2011

Il Pescatori is on a distinguished road
John,

I'm relatively new to sailing too (ASA 101, 103, and 104 last summer) and purchased a 49' ketch this spring. We hired our instructor to help us bring the vessel home from St. Augustine to the northeast. What an awesome sailing trip (lesson). We open our boat every weekend to sailing classes which has been a great experience for them and for us alike and have spent a considerable amount of time in the Atlantic, navigating the ICW, crossing bays and sounds, talking to bridge and lock tenders, setting our sails towards Portugal, and even docking at the tike bars.

When shopping for a boat the best advice I got is "don't buy a starter boat but buy the boat you want to sail". I questioned this thinking at first... thinking I should start out in something smaller but after 4 months of ownership I realize that this was really great advice! I'm learning the vessel inside and out and know when it comes time to keep going towards Portugal I'll be ready and Dream will be too!

P.S. Don't be afraid to turn off the GPS and use your charts... you just might need the skills someday. We lost our battery bank the first night out in the Atlantic and sailed with just a chart, a red led flashlight, and a compass... the stars were spectacular. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way!
Old 08-19-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
I suspect without proof that in some ways, a larger boat is easier to handle, assuming you have the right canvas for the conditions. On my 27 footer, moving around on the narrow, sloping, heaving, slipper deck in poor conditions is less than comfortable. Getting around the dodger feels like one of those movie scenes where the hero is chased out on a ledge high up a skyscraper. Having a spacious deck with plenty of handholds is a fantasy of mine.

The things that scare me about jumping right up to a 50 foot boat are the cost (including availability of moorage) and the maintenance.
Old 08-19-2011

bert's_oyster is on a distinguished road
emoney,

Thanks for the comments. I will keep your offer to crew in mind although if my plans come to fruition, I will be sailing out of Vancouver, Canada.
Old 08-19-2011

Il Pescatori,

Having worked with maps (paper versions) years ago and having taken air photo interpretation at night school for fun (also years ago), paper charting would not be drudgery but 'fun'.
Old 08-19-2011

Adam

Lot's of room to go around the dodger and rigging on the Sense50. The Bean is almost 16'.
Old 08-19-2011

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
I think sailing the boat will be a piece of cake.
Manouvering and docking in tight quarters with wind and tide will be the biggest learing curve.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 08-19-2011

Ninefingers is on a distinguished road
It's a cool boat for sure. My only worry would be that it's very new model, and perhaps the kinks won't be worked out of any design issues for a few years. Sometimes designers and engineers get it right on the first try. But more often they don't I would guess.

Best of luck with your adventure. I am new to sailing this year and have sailed our newish 33 Hunter a couple dozen times this summer. There' something to be said for taking a couple of charters on a 33 and then buying your 50. That way you'll know how good you've got it.

Tags
buying my first boat , new to boating