Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2011

sailtowind is on a distinguished road
Hello to All!

Hello my name is Dave. I have been visiting this site for months now, and have to thank you all for the vast amount of information avail. on this site. It is amazing to have such a great group of people who contribute their own experiences and information so that others may learn.

I have moderate and limited sailing abilities. I have sailing experience in the great lakes, on a 30' Catalina. I do have a cert. from power squadron and have been around boats most of my life, although mostly power boats.

I have a good knowledge of the working systems on a sailboat. I can plot and read charts well, through your site I have learned about the various types of sailboats, sail plans, and keel types.

I have looked at MANY sailboats on the internet over the past 6 months and have a good idea what features I require in a sailboat, however make and model are still confusing.

Through reading posts on this site it has been mentioned many times that to ask the vauge question "Which is the best sailboat?" is not a great question, it's not that simple. So I have devised a list of the things I feel are mandatory in an ocean worthy sailboat. I hope that this will help in providing me with a good shopping list and more info to help make the right purchase. Please feel free to critque my list, as there are many here that know infinately more than I.

The sailboat I would like to purchase:
-Built well enough to circumnavigate
-to be used as liveaboard
-Can be sailed single-handed
-solid hull and structure in good cond.
-stable motion
-Mast in good cond.
-full keel
-wheel steering
-sloop
-fiberglass
-aluminium mast
-no pilothouses
-preferably with wind generator and solar panels/genset
-fresh and reliable motor
-aft cabin if possible
-stand-up shower
-good sails with spares
-All rigging in good cond.
-no teak decks
-capable of 6-7 knots

As I have a mech. background there are things to which I am not concerned about.
Cosmetic damage- No problemo!
Brite work- No problemo!
Staining/painting- No problemo!
Electrical- If needed I could rewire the entire boat
Plumbing- I WOULD replace all plumbing throughout boat, and build new water system

My concerns run more along the lines of hull condition/maintenance, rigging, mast cond. how cleats and winching is attatched to deck, capize ratios.

When I first started looking at boats I really liked the 41' Morgan Out Island for it's lines and the interior layout. I realized that this type of boat will not circumnavigate. If I am correct it does not have the bulkhead structure to take heavy weather, and it is to shallow draft to be in big water. I also understand that the wide beam of 13'6" make for poor motion in rougher water.

I figured that to circumnavigate your vessel should be 30' or better?
min draft 5'?
weight 20,000 lbs approx.
full keel
heavy rigging and hardware

I am sorry this message is so long, I just don't waste time with vague questions.

Please help point me in the right direction!

Thanks
Dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard Dave! You seem thorough and serious, I like your list. I don't have any boats to recommend, mine is wooden, and taken! Good luck with your search. You might add a budget range.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook