Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2011

Beaverkill is on a distinguished road
Sailing Greenhorn...

Sailing has been high on my bucket list for a Looong time and I am now ready to start my voyage….Let me introduce myself, I am a 44 yo, married with 3 young children. I grew up along the New Jersey shore (Manasquan/Wall) but moved away 10 years ago…We are moving back to be close to our families. In my youth, I was a mate on charter/party fishing boats and have owned small fishing boats (19 and 26ft) in the past. The only boats I have owned since 1992 has been a canoe and Mackenzie drift boat. I am a part-time fly fishing instructor/guide but need an activity that the wife and family can enjoy away from fishing…Sailing seems like an excellent choice…..I have started by buying a book, Sailing Fundamentals by Gary Jobson, and plan to take some lessons along with my wife in the future…Once we sell the house and move (which may take almost a year in this housing market), we plan to buy a boat that will fit our family needs…Until then, I am continuing to research and learn as much as I can about the sport…I hope that the Sailnet community will be a great resource throughout my sailing days… Any advice is appreciated…Thank you and look forward to interacting with the community… Dan

Last edited by Beaverkill; 08-23-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Divorce the wife, sell the kids, buy a boat.

Seriously though, welcome aboard. Research, ask questions, and research more. The folks here are among the best that I have seen on forums, so you came to the right place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 08-23-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
What tom said.

Next, 44 is way too old to have a bucket list. We still have goals at our age.

Finally, welcome to Sailnet and sailing. It sounds like you're on the right path. In the meantime, find a friend with a boat and beg on as crew. It's the least expensive way to get onto the water until you start your lessons. Next least expensive way is joining a local sailing club and offering to crew. You'll learn a lot.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperanteau View Post
Divorce the wife, sell the kids, buy a boat.
HMMMM, winters in the Bahamas cruising and chasing bonefish and summers in Montana...No soccer practice, no lawn work, No New Jersey...Sounds tempting.. on the other hand...She would hunt me down, sink the boat and cause physical damage I cant describe without breaking forum rules...

Quote:
find a friend with a boat and beg on as crew. It's the least expensive way to get onto the water until you start your lessons. Next least expensive way is joining a local sailing club and offering to crew. You'll learn a lot.
Sounds like a great idea...Thanks for the advice
Old 08-24-2011
A mod and her dragon

Joining a local club is also a way to sail on different types of sailboats and see which ones you don't want. One club I belong to has everything from a 19' Mariner to larger cruisers and I don't think any two boats are the same. Can't beat that variety for forty bucks a year.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 08-24-2011

Quote:
Can't beat that variety for forty bucks a year.
I wish I could find a sailing club for even close to that cost...All I seem to be able to find in the Manasquan River / Northern Barnegat Bay area are Yacht Clubs that have high annual dues and initiation fees...
Any resources or organizations I should contact that may have lists or member "Sailing Clubs"... Thanks for your assistance. Dan
Old 08-24-2011
A mod and her dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaverkill View Post
Any resources or organizations I should contact that may have lists or member "Sailing Clubs"... Thanks for your assistance. Dan
Checking. I'll let you know if I find anything. There might not be anything in your back yard.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.