Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2011

ch61rog71@TW is on a distinguished road
cyano

hello Dave and lady wife,I thought I would pop down to Eridge and find you and Si Amor but no luck! lovely area ,very spread out though. I am off to faversham on sunday to work on my lizzie 29 if you want any measurements from the boom or mast, post it.Give me a clue where to find you ,I still want to see the boat.regards ,Roger
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2013

wkeith01 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: elizabethan 29

Hi, I may be too late to post a reply.

The Elizabethon 29 is an excellent yacht good strong and hard, the only drawback as far as I can tell is the internal led keel. If it was not bedded in properly it could force it's way out through the bottom of the boat...we had that happen once and was caused by extremly bad weather. They were built by Peter Webster Ltd at Ropewalk Boatyard Lymington Hants. Ropwalk Boatyard is now part of Lymington Yacht Haven. I worked for Peter Webster in the 60s and early 70s as an apprentice shipwright.
Old 10-17-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Re: elizabethan 29

You could be 2 years too late.

The problem you describe is not unique to the Elizabethan - many boats have external keels and if built properly with good floors or grid internally there are few problems.
Old 10-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
You could be 2 years too late.
then pour re
The problem you describe is not unique to the Elizabethan - many boats have external keels and if built properly with good floors or grid internally there are few problems.
Hi, As a former employee of Peter Websters and somebody who worked on every E29 built from 1966 to 1971. I can only comment on that boat. The ballest keel was internal. it was made of lead and lowered in prior to the deck being fitted. Once the keel was put in, it was wedged in place with wood packers around the top to hold it cental, the fibreglassers (or gouers as we called them) would then pour resin around between the lead and hull. The problem came when you had a gouer (spelling) that did not care. I had to help repair an E29 at Poole that had it's ballest keel come adrift, the shipwright I was working with cut a couple of holes approx 12" square each side of the hull at keel level and there was no resin around the keel at any point so allowing it to move in heavy weather. I can only talk from 'MY' experiance. Just a quick mention, the lead was fibreglassed over and the water tank fabricated above it with the floors and cabin sole above that.

The E29 was the only yacht Websters built with an internal ballest keel and everbody commented on the weak spot where the two halves of the hull were joined and could not understand why we could not change the mould to accomdate an external Steel keel as all the other Elizabethans had. The E35 may also have had an internal keel but these were never built at Ropewalk Boatyard by Peter Websters but built under licence by an independent company.

Also a note of interest is, people have spoke of the E30 but no mention of the E 9mtr which was the racing version with a trim tab on the keel, Peter Webster sailed one of these himself.

I have sailed in quite a few E29s and E31s and 1 or 2 E23s as I loved sailing, when Peter Webster took all the new yachts out for compass swing I was always asked to join them as crew so Peter Webster could have a sail afterwards. I have also raced against E29 and they were always very fast and seaworthy, in my mind the E29 and E31 (not the Ketch) were the best two yachts we built.

Also the best Elizabethans were the early ones built whilst Mac McEntyre (spelling) was forman, he left when Tony Winter started as manager, things went downhill from there on.

Last edited by wkeith01; 10-18-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Old 10-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thestar View Post
Hi Dave,
The Elizabethan 29ís are clearly defined by a lowercase letter e moulded in to the hull at the bow on both port and starboard sides just before the start of the coping line as per pictures enclosed.
Many thanks for the invite I would indeed like to come along and see the boat.
I shall be back on land middle of September for a week visiting my sister in Berkshire before departing to the Mediterranean for the winter warmer sailing.
My mobile number is 07513072453 email antares@gmailDOTcom substitute the DOT to stop spammers.
Kindest Regards
Will

Hi, Just a thought. You may like to know why Peter Webster called his yachts Elizabethans? They were named after his daughter Elizabeth. He had a son as well named Charles but I think he died fairly young.