SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

elizabethan 29

14K views 37 replies 10 participants last post by  Denismartinsail 
#1 ·
Hello all
After lurking for a few days i have decided to go for it.
My wife and i are building what we believe to be an Elizabethan 29. She was left forgotten in the corner of a yard having never been completed.
Hull and deck are complete however the coachroof needs a lot of work and she needs a complete fitout.
We are fairly experienced crew but this will be our first foray into ownership.
Our intention is to first build her and then spend a few years getting to know her culminating in a slow cruise to nicaragua where we have a second home.
We have rented a large barn in which to work situated across the road from our house.
Any tips/ advice gratefully received
Dave and Ros

#31 ·
cyano

hello Dave and lady wife,I thought I would pop down to Eridge and find you and Si Amor but no luck! lovely area ,very spread out though. I am off to faversham on sunday to work on my lizzie 29 if you want any measurements from the boom or mast, post it.Give me a clue where to find you ,I still want to see the boat.regards ,Roger

#32 ·
Hi, I may be too late to post a reply.

The Elizabethon 29 is an excellent yacht good strong and hard, the only drawback as far as I can tell is the internal led keel. If it was not bedded in properly it could force it's way out through the bottom of the boat...we had that happen once and was caused by extremly bad weather. They were built by Peter Webster Ltd at Ropewalk Boatyard Lymington Hants. Ropwalk Boatyard is now part of Lymington Yacht Haven. I worked for Peter Webster in the 60s and early 70s as an apprentice shipwright.

#34 · (Edited)
You could be 2 years too late.:D
then pour re
The problem you describe is not unique to the Elizabethan - many boats have external keels and if built properly with good floors or grid internally there are few problems.
Hi, As a former employee of Peter Websters and somebody who worked on every E29 built from 1966 to 1971. I can only comment on that boat. The ballest keel was internal. it was made of lead and lowered in prior to the deck being fitted. Once the keel was put in, it was wedged in place with wood packers around the top to hold it cental, the fibreglassers (or gouers as we called them) would then pour resin around between the lead and hull. The problem came when you had a gouer (spelling) that did not care. I had to help repair an E29 at Poole that had it's ballest keel come adrift, the shipwright I was working with cut a couple of holes approx 12" square each side of the hull at keel level and there was no resin around the keel at any point so allowing it to move in heavy weather. I can only talk from 'MY' experiance. Just a quick mention, the lead was fibreglassed over and the water tank fabricated above it with the floors and cabin sole above that.

The E29 was the only yacht Websters built with an internal ballest keel and everbody commented on the weak spot where the two halves of the hull were joined and could not understand why we could not change the mould to accomdate an external Steel keel as all the other Elizabethans had. The E35 may also have had an internal keel but these were never built at Ropewalk Boatyard by Peter Websters but built under licence by an independent company.

Also a note of interest is, people have spoke of the E30 but no mention of the E 9mtr which was the racing version with a trim tab on the keel, Peter Webster sailed one of these himself.

I have sailed in quite a few E29s and E31s and 1 or 2 E23s as I loved sailing, when Peter Webster took all the new yachts out for compass swing I was always asked to join them as crew so Peter Webster could have a sail afterwards. I have also raced against E29 and they were always very fast and seaworthy, in my mind the E29 and E31 (not the Ketch) were the best two yachts we built.

Also the best Elizabethans were the early ones built whilst Mac McEntyre (spelling) was forman, he left when Tony Winter started as manager, things went downhill from there on. :)

#37 ·
Hello all
After lurking for a few days i have decided to go for it.
My wife and i are building what we believe to be an Elizabethan 29. She was left forgotten in the corner of a yard having never been completed.
Hull and deck are complete however the coachroof needs a lot of work and she needs a complete fitout.
We are fairly experienced crew but this will be our first foray into ownership.
Our intention is to first build her and then spend a few years getting to know her culminating in a slow cruise to nicaragua where we have a second home.
We have rented a large barn in which to work situated across the road from our house.
Any tips/ advice gratefully received
Dave and Ros
I own this Ela I wish to replace seal on tiler if there is one in cockpit floor any problems please

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.