Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2011

sailingbeauty is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to sailingbeauty
New to Sailnet

Nice to find your group. Me and my man have been sailing for a few years and we are sooo looking forward to spending more time on the seas. Trying to figure a way to just do it....what I need is residual income...I cannot wait to be out so far I cannot see land and the stars are bright and the winds are steady!! I am a nurse, he and engineer, I can take care of us and he the boat...so we are good. Hope to get to know some of you via this WWW, and who knows where we may sail into the same harbor as you!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Welcome to Sailnet!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 09-02-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingbeauty View Post
Nice to find your group. Me and my man have been sailing for a few years and we are sooo looking forward to spending more time on the seas. Trying to figure a way to just do it....what I need is residual income...I cannot wait to be out so far I cannot see land and the stars are bright and the winds are steady!! I am a nurse, he and engineer, I can take care of us and he the boat...so we are good. Hope to get to know some of you via this WWW, and who knows where we may sail into the same harbor as you!!
A lot of us are doing the same dreaming. Some of us are getting there. The income thing can be a problem, so you need to have marketable skills. Sounds like you two do.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 09-03-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Years ago I knew a cruising couple that would cruise then return to work a while. She was a nurse, it was a very marketable skill in the 80's.
Old 09-03-2011

Cirdan is on a distinguished road
Welcome! I'm new here too and starting the journey (hopefully) to cut most of my ties to land.
Old 09-03-2011
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road
Welcome!
Old 09-04-2011

bc1964 is on a distinguished road
I'm still in the early full flush of love with sailing having just purchased a modest 26 footer here in Ireland. Every sailing day has seen a new challenge overcome, first day getting away from the berth without causing any damage (and returning), first day hoisting the head sail and some days later getting the main up. By far the most memorable was the first time switching off the engine and still managing to advance the boat in a generally forward direction. In my mid forties now I can't believe that I've waited this long to take the plunge.

My days are now filled with new apps, books, dreams and conversations with anyone who seems remotely interested in sailing. While I am often told that my personality tends toward the obsessive compulsive type it does seem that a whole new world has opened to me. If I am going to have a mid life crisis then bring it on (water)

I realise that this is a pointless post but I genuinely feel that I need to share my new found enthusiasm with people who have possibly shared the same thoughts at some stage. If I was to ask a question it would be "when does this wear off"?

I now have 4 weeks sailing experience, is it too early to circumnavigate? (solo)

Last edited by bc1964; 09-04-2011 at 01:51 PM. Reason: correction
Old 09-04-2011
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
It doesn't wear off but rather undergoes a "sea change" as you learn and do more. As for the circumnavigating, many would say that's only one of many ways to enjoy the water, and others would say you'll want to acquire the experience and knowledge to do so -- and to at least know enough to "know what you don't know".
Old 09-04-2011

bc1964 is on a distinguished road
Thanks, I'm being a little flippant with the "circumnavigating" comment, my ambitions are on the adventurous side of total beginner so leaving the confines of the harbour (which is quite large) requires careful consideration.....I am delighted with your reply, circumnavigating the boat is about my level at the moment but I',m hopeful....
Old 09-04-2011
Water Lover

"Circumnavigating" a mooring ball is a good first step for some people -- before circumnavigating slightly bigger things -- islands, continents, planets, whatever.