SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

new adventure

830 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  vega1860 
#1 ·
Hi,
I'm Goose Hammond (yes it's my name) I am currently under contract for a Morgan 42 Ketch. I am planning on sailing her from Warwick Rhode Island (my actual home town) Down the east coast and over to Texas where I live. I would be greatful for advise on the east coast trip and course.
This will be my longest trip yet and I wan't every ounce of info I can get!
Thanks every one, I appreciate all the help I can get
Goose

#2 ·
Welcome aboard Goose. I own a 39' ketch that I brought up from Fl. Your trip is pretty staightforward along either shore of Long Island and down the Jersey coast. The ICW can be tricky, with shallow spots. There is a good website, ActiveCaptain with plenty of input from other sailors. It's free to join. (I'm a member, but have no financial interest). There are probably other ICW sites or forums too. I know there are printed guides. Watch the weather, be careful, allow extra time. Are you going solo or with crew? In shore or off? Good luck and have fun.

#3 ·
Thanks, I will have my wife with me, she is getting pretty good at sailing these days, I can tell since the amount of frustration and yelling has subsided,lol.
I can't help but think off shore is the way to go, stay a few miles out. The ICW looks tricky and slow.
I have been using active captian to locate safe anchorages along the way incase of bad weather. It is a good useful site I have been using in local costal sailing. Any time I take a new course I try to ask as many folks as I can who have been there done that for advice and compile my notes from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.