Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2011

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
My friend has a Catalina 27 on S.F. Bay, and it's a nice boat for what she uses it for. It's roomy, sails well in light air, and decent headroom to stand in.The options are huge. You can use sites like yachtworld.com to get a feel for the market......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
If you take more than just the basic keelboat course and move up to coastal cruising and bareboating, you should find yourself comfortable handling a boat up the mid 30 ft range. People's aptitudes differ, so you could be more or less.

There are many things you might not realize are not standard on sailboats, such as refrigeration. If you will live aboard, you will want electric refrigeration, some may have ice boxes.

Also, for livability, you will want freshwater holding and you will also want to check the quality of it on the boat you buy. Many will not take good care of the freshwater tanks, unless they ordinarily stay aboard for lengths of time. If neglected, your only real solution may be to replace the tank and hoses.

This can be stretch in smaller boats, but having a separate shower stall is very nice if you are spending any time aboard. Otherwise, the head typically doubles as the shower and you have to dry it in order to have a usable head again. No big deal, but I find (used to find) having to do so every day for a long time to be tough.

A holding tank for blackwater (sewage) is probably going to be required.

You don't mention whether you are sailing alone or have a crew. The fewer people you are going to have to sail her, the more important it is to have every line return to the cockpit.

Good luck and welcome aboard.......

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-25-2011

vettefan is on a distinguished road
Wow i love this site there is so much info. here. So many things i would not even have thought of.
Old 09-30-2011

vettefan is on a distinguished road
Would a 38 foot boat be to big? I was going to go look at a 38 foot saber
Old 09-30-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
This link is more about British sports cars: Lucas - Prince of Darkness - Lucas Electrical Humor Jokes
but still quite funny, in my opinion.

Sabre is a well respected maker of sailboats so go check it out.

I am a little old school and think that a learning to sail on smaller boats first will ultimately help you to handle a 38 footer better. Most likely your ASA class will be on a smaller boat anyway. Crewing for a race (as already suggested) will also help you learn a lot and quickly.

Welcome.

Everybody has one: