SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Greetings from Downunder.

851 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Classic30 
#1 ·
G'Day,From OZZ.I feel out of place here,with all these 20plus foot yachts.My wife and i have recently bought a Hartley TS16.We are members of the CairnCurran sailing club,which is an inland reservoir,in Victoria.I have only manned the jib a few times on a Boomerang20.My wife has no experience at all.We hope to learn sailing in our own boat at the club.We have no interests in racing,just cruising.Because i'm a little crazy i am also rebuilding a '68 Binks Flying Dutchman.I am also a keen canoer(?)

#2 ·
Glad to hear their is water in our beloved lakes again. If the adventure takes you I have been told the geelong trailerable yacht club is an active group who organise some cruises as well as the racing calander. Great way to get out and about.

Have fun!

#3 ·
Glad to hear their is water in our beloved lakes again. If the adventure takes you I have been told the geelong trailerable yacht club is an active group who organise some cruises as well as the racing calander. Great way to get out and about.

Have fun!
Once the wife and i can sail our ts16 with confidence,,,,St Helen's is going to be one of our prefered spots.At least with cairncurran S.C. they have two more ts16's plus a rescue boat on watch,,,LOL. May see you on Corio bay one day soon.cheers.

#4 · (Edited)
Welcome to Sailnet, Helliconia. Don't let the "Big Boys" scare you.. you'll get there one day! :D

The TS16 is a great, fun, boat to learn on and I'm sure you'll have a great time on CairnCurran.

I assume you've joined the TS16 Association?? They're mainly racing people (Williamstown SC in particular) but if you're into social cruising they hold an annual motor up the Maribyrnong which is always great fun and a chance to check out other boats and swap ideas.

The Hartley TS18-21 YC also has a few TS16's and highly experienced ex-TS16 people on it's register and would be glad to have you along to any of their events from Gippsland Lakes north and help you with advice or assistance specific to your boat.

You've made a good choice of boat. Post some pics when you can. :)

#5 ·
LOL Big boats don't scare me.We are members of the ts16 association(.First thing we did).They(the ts16's) are holding one of their races at cairncurran in near future.As soon as we are confinent we will be cruising the gippsland lakes and will be looking for companions.Thanks for the link.After reading an article on "composite hulls" i'm happy to stay with timber. Are They Fiberglass Boats Anymore? by David Pascoe, Marine Surveyor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.