Greetings from Downunder. - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-26-2011 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Greetings from Downunder.

G'Day,From OZZ.I feel out of place here,with all these 20plus foot yachts.My wife and i have recently bought a Hartley TS16.We are members of the CairnCurran sailing club,which is an inland reservoir,in Victoria.I have only manned the jib a few times on a Boomerang20.My wife has no experience at all.We hope to learn sailing in our own boat at the club.We have no interests in racing,just cruising.Because i'm a little crazy i am also rebuilding a '68 Binks Flying Dutchman.I am also a keen canoer(?)
HELLICONIA54 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 09-26-2011
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Victoria Australia
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Glad to hear their is water in our beloved lakes again. If the adventure takes you I have been told the geelong trailerable yacht club is an active group who organise some cruises as well as the racing calander. Great way to get out and about.

Have fun!

Winds are light, Skys blue, Waters wet, Why worry, whats the hurry?
moggie is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #3 of 8 Old 09-26-2011 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by moggie View Post
Glad to hear their is water in our beloved lakes again. If the adventure takes you I have been told the geelong trailerable yacht club is an active group who organise some cruises as well as the racing calander. Great way to get out and about.

Have fun!
Once the wife and i can sail our ts16 with confidence,,,,St Helen's is going to be one of our prefered spots.At least with cairncurran S.C. they have two more ts16's plus a rescue boat on watch,,,LOL. May see you on Corio bay one day soon.cheers.
HELLICONIA54 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #4 of 8 Old 09-27-2011
Once known as Hartley18
 
Classic30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,851
Thanks: 46
Thanked 65 Times in 65 Posts
Rep Power: 10
   
Dock
Welcome to Sailnet, Helliconia. Don't let the "Big Boys" scare you.. you'll get there one day!

The TS16 is a great, fun, boat to learn on and I'm sure you'll have a great time on CairnCurran.

I assume you've joined the TS16 Association?? They're mainly racing people (Williamstown SC in particular) but if you're into social cruising they hold an annual motor up the Maribyrnong which is always great fun and a chance to check out other boats and swap ideas.

The Hartley TS18-21 YC also has a few TS16's and highly experienced ex-TS16 people on it's register and would be glad to have you along to any of their events from Gippsland Lakes north and help you with advice or assistance specific to your boat.

You've made a good choice of boat. Post some pics when you can.

-
"Honestly, I don't know why seamen persist in getting wrecked in some of the outlandish places they do, when they can do it in a nice place like Fiji." -- John Caldwell, "Desperate Voyage"

Last edited by Classic30; 09-27-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Classic30 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #5 of 8 Old 09-28-2011 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Welcome to Sailnet, Helliconia. Don't let the "Big Boys" scare you.. you'll get there one day!

The TS16 is a great, fun, boat to learn on and I'm sure you'll have a great time on CairnCurran.

I assume you've joined the TS16 Association?? They're mainly racing people (Williamstown SC in particular) but if you're into social cruising they hold an annual motor up the Maribyrnong which is always great fun and a chance to check out other boats and swap ideas.

The Hartley TS18-21 YC also has a few TS16's and highly experienced ex-TS16 people on it's register and would be glad to have you along to any of their events from Gippsland Lakes north and help you with advice or assistance specific to your boat.

You've made a good choice of boat. Post some pics when you can.
LOL Big boats don't scare me.We are members of the ts16 association(.First thing we did).They(the ts16's) are holding one of their races at cairncurran in near future.As soon as we are confinent we will be cruising the gippsland lakes and will be looking for companions.Thanks for the link.After reading an article on "composite hulls" i'm happy to stay with timber. Are They Fiberglass Boats Anymore? by David Pascoe, Marine Surveyor
HELLICONIA54 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #6 of 8 Old 09-29-2011
Once known as Hartley18
 
Classic30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,851
Thanks: 46
Thanked 65 Times in 65 Posts
Rep Power: 10
   
Dock
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLICONIA54 View Post
LOL Big boats don't scare me.We are members of the ts16 association(.First thing we did).They(the ts16's) are holding one of their races at cairncurran in near future.As soon as we are confinent we will be cruising the gippsland lakes and will be looking for companions.Thanks for the link.After reading an article on "composite hulls" i'm happy to stay with timber.
If she's well-built and you look after her - in our climate she'll outlast you no problem. The better TS16's (TS18's and 21's) have the seams between plywood sheets fibreglass taped and faired over.

Apart from their seaworthiness and ease of handling, two of the best things about these boats is:
(a) the entire length of the boat is used - no wasted space.
(b) the boat's strength (and there is a lot of it!) is in the hull, not the internal fittings - so if you don't like how she's laid out inside, feel free to change it.

If you ever need repairs done, there's an ex-TS16 owner on the Hartley TS18-21 Committee who specialises in fixing and modifying Hartley TS's. If you need to, PM me and I'll put you onto him.

Enjoy!!.. If you're up to it, the TS18-21 YC hold a cruise on the Gippsland Lakes over Christmas (come and go as you like) ... and if you're ever racing with the Association, look out for Michael Horvath - he'll show you how it's done.

-
"Honestly, I don't know why seamen persist in getting wrecked in some of the outlandish places they do, when they can do it in a nice place like Fiji." -- John Caldwell, "Desperate Voyage"
Classic30 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #7 of 8 Old 09-29-2011 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
If she's well-built and you look after her - in our climate she'll outlast you no problem. The better TS16's (TS18's and 21's) have the seams between plywood sheets fibreglass taped and faired over.

Apart from their seaworthiness and ease of handling, two of the best things about these boats is:
(a) the entire length of the boat is used - no wasted space.
(b) the boat's strength (and there is a lot of it!) is in the hull, not the internal fittings - so if you don't like how she's laid out inside, feel free to change it.

If you ever need repairs done, there's an ex-TS16 owner on the Hartley TS18-21 Committee who specialises in fixing and modifying Hartley TS's. If you need to, PM me and I'll put you onto him.

Enjoy!!.. If you're up to it, the TS18-21 YC hold a cruise on the Gippsland Lakes over Christmas (come and go as you like) ... and if you're ever racing with the Association, look out for Michael Horvath - he'll show you how it's done.
It was his wife Gillian who put me onto the boat i have.I met her at cairncurran during their state finals.We hosted the race.
HELLICONIA54 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #8 of 8 Old 09-29-2011
Once known as Hartley18
 
Classic30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,851
Thanks: 46
Thanked 65 Times in 65 Posts
Rep Power: 10
   
Dock
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLICONIA54 View Post
It was his wife Gillian who put me onto the boat i have.I met her at cairncurran during their state finals.We hosted the race.
Sounds like you're in good hands then!

If ever you feel that the TS16 is a little small and wanted to trade up to something a little more comfortable, say, around the 18-21ft mark - look me up.

Seriously though, the 18-21 YC are holding their "GoSailing" day soon in conjunction with Melbourne Trailables at St Kilda Marina. If you feel like a spin in a bigger version of your boat - come along. It would be great to meet you.

-
"Honestly, I don't know why seamen persist in getting wrecked in some of the outlandish places they do, when they can do it in a nice place like Fiji." -- John Caldwell, "Desperate Voyage"
Classic30 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
G'Day from Downunder HELLICONIA54 Introduce Yourself 3 03-01-2011 06:41 PM
Downunder Dreamer Kenif Introduce Yourself 3 03-31-2010 06:04 PM
Hello from Downunder ol55 Introduce Yourself 11 07-10-2009 08:22 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome