SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Help wanted please :)

915 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  PCP 
#1 ·
Hey, my names Chloe. I'm currently in my second year at Plymouth University studying Product Design. Our current project is to design a electronic device thats viable, feasible and desirable.

I am interested in designing something for the marine industry [as my dad has a Westerly] and my initial idea at the moment is to design a unit that could be fitted to the deck of a boat incorporating AIS, and man overboard tags with live tracking - for when a crew member falls over board an alarm is set off but unlike other devices out there every few minutes it sends out a their position making it easier to rescue.

I am interested in some feedback of this idea, would this be something anyone would be interested in? Or is there anything people would like in a single unit? Any feedback would be appreciated

Thank you for your time. Chloe

#3 ·
Thank you.

I would like to combine whats currently out there with MOB devices. I dont think there is out there a MOB system that has both GPS and AIS linked so it displays on the AIS screen, then all boats with AIS systems will be able to join in the search.

Although I know AIS is only currently used on commercial boats, I think this is something that could become more popular on pleasure boats...

#4 · (Edited)
Thank you.

Although I know AIS is only currently used on commercial boats, I think this is something that could become more popular on pleasure boats...
Yes I agree and AIS signal senders are inexpensive and small. It seems a good idea to me providing you can maintain the price down.

If you can make it at much lower price (as I think you can) you can also study a system based only on AIS. I know that the range is a bit less than 50 nm but sailboats are slow and that would be enough for coastal cruise where the probability of a boat or ship with AIS on a 45 nm circle is very high. After all 95% of recreational cruising is a coastal one.

Of course that would imply that the sailboat whose crew used that system would have an AIS receiver (much more expensive) but that is a useful piece of equipment and many recreational sailors are buying them.

If a kit can be made with a receiver incorporating two or three dedicated AIS senders, small ones that could be used all times by the crew on deck and that would give a distress signal of man overboard to all AIS receivers on range (including the one in the sailboat) I believe that would be a success, providing the price would not be much bigger than the receiver alone and probably that is possible.

Good luck:)

Regards

Paulo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.