Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2011
Gypsy Soul

Shallow Runner is on a distinguished road
Got the bug

Greetings to all! My name is Shawn and I currently live in Ft. Lauderdale Florida. I am 31, former Army (82nd Airborne all the way!) and am now studying marine sciences in a Masters program. I have always loved the water and being on the ocean and a few months ago finally got my US Sailing basic cert for Sloop rigged boats. Since then I have had that bug pretty bad and have a new life goal of making my way south and living aboard in the little latitudes; and in my field that is very likely to happen. Through my many trips to the islands and friends I have made along the way who are cruisers I know this is the life I seek. Currently I have no boat (Broke a$$ college student here) but I am always searching for that little starter boat (anything around the $5k range if you know of anything ) to get my bearings and hone in my sailing abilities until the day comes I can afford my dream boat. But in the mean time I am reading up and trying to get experience through offering to crew for locals (so if you are local and could use a hand let me know; free labor!) and just dreaming of the day I can sail away even if only for the weekends. Cheers everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2011
Legend in my own mind.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
if you can't find a liveaboard with the economy this far in the hopper you ain't looking... No offense.

$5k is pretty low, and something that big (live aboard) brings an ongoing cost of where to put it (marina/mooring). You could always start smaller and tow it where you want to go... Try 22 feet or less.

People are literally giving them away in places (they usually need a lot of work)... but they are available. Try allofcraigs.com and search by model, you can find free stuff even.
Old 10-11-2011
Gypsy Soul

Shallow Runner is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info man; I have been thinking of finding a smaller one for just sailing around here for now so to get more experience and so forth. Cheers.
Old 10-18-2011
Captain Cat

TheCruisingKitty is on a distinguished road
Welcome Shawn!

You have an interesting background and plan. We're looking forward to hearing your updates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.