Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2011

Charlie B is on a distinguished road
Charlie from Maine

I folks,
I sail a Morgan 24 out of Wells, Maine and I am totally in love with this boat! It's got a fresh water cooled Atomic 4 inboard, that purrs like a kitten. I just got this boat last fall and have done a lot to it, including varnishing all the teak. Inside she's all dressed out in American Walnut.
Her name is "My Fair Leslie" and with her shoal draft keel, she's as big a boat as our slip can handle. Unfortunately, our season is short in Maine, but I'm squeezing in all the sailing I can, until haul out time!
Attached Thumbnails
Charlie from Maine-nuble-lighthouse-2011-021.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard Charlie.
Tell us the story of the purchase and upgrades when you get a chance.
Old 10-13-2011

norsearayder is on a distinguished road
welcome to the board,iam up in portland rite now,plenty of sailing yet this year just watch the forecast...
Old 10-13-2011

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
Charlie,

Did you know there's a sandbar about 20 feet from the public ramp there? We were warned as we tried to launch but I figured, "Shoal keel, what worries?" With a dozen or so onlookers, we backed our Lancer 25 right into it. So, thinking quickly, I grabbed a line,swung my butt over the port rail and LEANED! I told my son, who thought the old man had lost it, to gun the motor. We slipped over the bar into the channel and glided out past the day mark. Boy! I would have looked foolish if that hadn't worked!

Are you new to sailing or just to the boat? Have you been around southern Maine yet?

Don,

Biddeford
Old 10-13-2011

Hi Don,
I'm new to the boat, having sailed a Paceship 23 last year and a few others for many years earlier.
I'm very familiar with the sand bars. I should be, as I've spent some time on them as well. The last time, I knew I was going to run aground, but figured I might as well wait for the tide there as at the slip. My best friend and his wife were with us, (not helping in the lightening the load portion of the show)
I decided to back up and take a running start. This time we slid up and over two sand bars and on to the sea. My friend thought that was a blast. He's very new to sailing. Then we visited the Kennebunk River, where they got to see George Bush senior's boat up close. I wasn't all that interested in that part as it doesn't have a mast!
Do you sail out of Wells much?
Old 10-13-2011

David,
My wife Leslie and I have a German Shepherd who is getting use to sailing. She doesn't like heeling at all (both my wife and the dog) and unlike your dog, just doesn't seem interested in taking the tiller.
I will give you the story sometime. It's a pretty wild one!

Norsea,
I love Casco Bay! We sailed for a week there last year and it was amazing! You must never get bored. What do you have for a boat?
Old 10-14-2011

norsearayder is on a distinguished road
charlie i ve got a 1979 pearson 32 that is completely tricked out..all the bells etc.i love her but i am running out of things to repair,replace,upgrade etc.in 2 weeks i am takin her south.casco bay is a great area,lots of ports and islands and great sea fairing people.i have intimate awareness of some of it and your rite there is endless oppertunities for adventure from here northwards
Old 10-14-2011

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
Charlie,

We've sailed out of Wells a few times. It's a great place for an afternoon sail to York Beach. Drop anchor and swim or dinghy in for a little Golden Rod action. Stay overnight maybe. Nothing like a cup of joe with the sound of surf and gulls all around. We also went to Isle of Shoals from Wells. I'll sent you my log, for a chuckle. Most of the time, we put in at Marblehead, about 2 miles up the Saco, or Buglight park, next to Spring Point Marina in Portland, not too far from SMCC. We've gone as far Down East as Pemaquid and as south as Portsmouth. We're looking forward to pushing a little deeper onto the other chart next year.
Old 10-14-2011

Don,
It sounds like you get in a lot of sailing. I am originally from South Berwick and my dad had a boat in York Harbor, so I was practically raised on Goldenrod peanut butter kisses.
I'm planning on doing much more cruising in the future. This year the plan was to sail down the coast, maybe as far as Cape Ann. We got a late start and headed to Cape Porpoise to spend the first night, hoping to get a good start in the morning. (Wells can be tricky to get out of in heavy weather) But I didn't get the early start, because my fuel pump let me down. Basically, I didn't get a "start" at all. But my wife loved hanging out in Cape Porpoise while I fixed it and I loved getting it fixed! The engine even ran a lot better after the pump was changed. We headed off to Stage Island after that and had a wonderful, but closer to home cruise this year.

Norse,
Great boat! I'll bet if you wait awhile there will be something else to fix though. I don't think it ever really ends, but it sounds like you've got her in a very good place. We still have a lot to add. I'm considering adding a dodger next year, as well as upgrading some wiring and switches etc. Also survival suits or possibly wet suits are on the list. One of the big things we added this year was a refrigerator. My wife found a super good price on a 12/110 volt one and I built it in where the clothes closet was. I still was left with storage under and to one side of it.
As for great sailing, I used to live on the island of Islesboro and sailed a great deal around Penobscot Bay. I also got to sail on some really sweet wooden boats there. Mine was a 21' John Alden Indian. My friends had a Dark Harbor 20 and a Dragon, about the same length. The Dark Harbor 20 was my all time favorite. Just beautiful boats, I believe a Herreshoff design. Oh ya, I also got to sail two glass boats while there. They were both Cape Dorys. Nice boats, but at the time I was all about wood. I got over that!
Old 10-15-2011

OK, Since David was so kind in showing an interest in how we got our Morgan, here's the story.

I still can't believe how this all fell into place. It started out with a cruise to Casco Bay last year on our Paceship PY23. It's a fantastic sailboat and I have nothing but good things to say about it, except for one thing. I said this the day I bought it. It is a very modern style boat and I'm really into the more classic looking boats, having grown up on my dad's many wooden lobsterboats as well as five of my own. Later in life I was lucky enough to own a wooden 21' Indian day sailor. A classic beauty designed by John Alden. I'm just not a "high tech" guy. Still, the PY23 got me into cruising and I loved the boat and grew to appreciate it's modern design and performance.

As we were returning from Casco Bay my wife made the big mistake of suggesting we get a bigger boat, as she has a bad back and wasn't having an easy time dealing with the galley arrangement. That got the gears in motion. I started out thinking in terms of a larger Paceship as we were really impressed with the PY23. So, I looked into getting a PY26. Unfortunately, we aren't allowed a boat that size on our slip (thanks to it's length and draft), so that was quickly ruled out. So, (I'm thinking) what else does Paceship make? That led me to a Westwind 24. A traditional design with an outboard well and inboard tiller, giving me the nice clean stern I've always loved. One very strange feature of the Westwind is, it doesn't have a keel as one would expect, but instead has a "whale belly", requiring a lot more weight then the PY23, but not drawing as much water. Perfect for Wells' shallow harbor! Then found one for free that needed fixing up. I was very up for it, unfortunately it was in Long Island with no trailer and a ton of red tape attached to it. So much so, that I finally gave up on that idea.

So I sat down and rethought my plan. If I could have any boat, what would be the best for my situation? Kind of like on-line dating, I made up the list of what I would like, inboard motor, inboard tiller, headroom for my wife, shallow draft, 24 foot length, not too far away, not too expensive, classic looks and bingo, ruled out just about every boat I could find anywhere! Ya, I'm thinking "time to lower my standards". Then out of nowhere I found the ad. This Morgan 24 fit exactly what I was looking, for except for one thing. It was a little more than I could come up with at that time of year. We're talking Christmas time. My wife said, no problem, sell the Paceship and buy it with that. Except, as you all I'm sure know, I would take a big loss selling it at that time of year and the Morgan would most likely not be available come spring, at least not for the same money. So I decided to sell some other things.

Being Christmas time I found was a bad time to sell some things. In the meantime, I had been e-mailing the owner of the Morgan with a lot of questions. He was the nicest guy and sent pictures and put up with all of my questions. On the other hand, he WAS trying to sell a boat at the wrong time of year and from a place far away from the ocean, without a trailer. All of these things, I believe worked to my advantage. I didn't want to drive a few hours to look at something I probably wasn't able to buy and I was very up front with him about that. But finally he told me he was about to winterize it and I should really come and look at it. So, I broke down and made the trip. I loved it, as I knew I would and I got to hear the Atomic 4 for the first time. But, I still didn't think it was going to happen. The drive home was long and depressing.

As a result of my visit, I must have made a good impression, because the owner wrote and told me that he was taking it off the market and when I was able to come up with the money, it was mine. I couldn't believe he was willing to do that. So I wrote him constantly, to let him know how things were going in the sales department.

One of the things I was selling was a 1957 farm tractor. It hadn't been run in awhile, but with my dad's help we got her running, fixed a flat and touched up the paint. Then out of nowhere I got a bite from two guys and one of them offered me more than I was asking for it. That gave me almost all I needed to buy the Morgan.

In the meantime, I'm trying to figure how I was going to get it to my house. I tried to find a large enough trailer, but was having no luck. Then I found a reasonably priced mover and was planning to go that route, when my wife said, "if you're going to spend that, you might as well put it towards a trailer." I was just in the process of trying to convince her that the trailer thing wasn't looking very likely when once again, out of nowhere I found a fantastic dual axle trailer at a great price. It needed tires, wheel bearings, fenders and lights, but that was all do able.

Eventually, I got all the ducks in a row and along with my dad (in his late 70s), we headed off to pick her up. It took the two of us as well as the owner all day to get her onto the trailer. It involved building a sliding cradle, (my idea) to keep her five tons upright while using the jack stands, a floor jack and come along to very slowly get her trailered. Finally, just before dark, we were ready to haul. The ride home was slow and nerve racking, but everything went very well and in the dark my wife got to see her for the first time, remarking that she couldn't believe how big she was. Thanks to her shoal draft keel, she sits much higher on a trailer than our PY23. In the water it's not all that much bigger, but the space is made much better use of. Charlie Morgan is a genius! She sails so beautifully and takes a sea incredibly well. And she's very well balanced with any of her three head sails. I can't wait for the right day to try her beautiful spinnaker! That will involve light wind and the right person with me. My wife tells me it won't be her.

Come spring time, (after a very short time listed) I was able to sell the PY23 for what I was asking to a wonderful younger couple.

Tags
s/v my fair leslie