Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2011

GeoffWest7 is on a distinguished road
New to SailNet, New to Sailing

Hi,

I just turned 30 and for my birthday I had an opportunity to buy a 1980 San Juan 7.7 from a friend for $2500. I went in half with another good friend which hopefully will help in the long run with maintenance and improvements. The friend who sold us the boat pulled some strings and was able to get us a bow tie slip in the same marina he's in with his new boat. The slip is cheap, quiet, clean and in an amazing location in San Diego, CA.

We partly decided to go ahead with purchasing the boat for a place to call home in San Diego. My wife, my friend, his wife and I all love the area and enjoy visiting several times a year. This just makes it that much easier. But partly we decided to buy because we want to sail. As for me this was the bigger reason.

A little about my boating history. I did not grow up around sail boats. We did not have much money growing up and the most my father had was a 15' aluminum fishing boat for the little ponds around here which he ultimately had to sell for put food on the table. I was gifted a run down power boat from my uncle several years ago that I have turned into a clean, comfortable, reliable weekend adventurer. I have sailed little dinghys on the lake and the biggest being a Hobie Cat that my wife and I rented in Mexico to sail in the bay for a few hours. But oh, how I have dreamed of sailing!

We spent the last weekend out in San Diego checking out the boat. It is nice and appears to be in sound structural condition. No obvious damage, no water in the bilge, the rigging could probably use some work, the original OMC Saildrive is in disrepair but it has a nice outboard Johnson that is new and runs great. It could use a little cosmetic work on the inside but nothing that will break the bank. We took it out for a short while in the bay with a light wind and the sails appeared to be in fair condition with a small area near the clew on the manlsail with some mold/mildew on it. We did realize though that we know so little about sailing and have a long way to go (and please accept my apology if I am not using correct terminology, it is on my list of things to learn).

Ever since I've been home I have been spending a lot of time searching around on the internet for all things related to sailing and the San Juan 7.7. Since I've stumbled upon SailNet I think I have spent all morning browsing, reading, admiring and dreaming. I really need to finish this post and turn off the computer, the dog is looking at me like he wants to go for a walk!

I apologize for being long winded but I cannot express the excitement that I have. I just wanted to introduce myself and I hope to be learning and sharing with all of you in the near future. If anyone has any insight on the San Juan 7.7 they would like to share, I would love to hear it, otherwise I will just post specific questions when I think of them. As well if anyone has any suggestions as to the best way to get started at becoming a skilled and safe sailor, please do share.

I look forward to being a part of your group.

Sincerely,

Geoff West
Attached Thumbnails
New to SailNet, New to Sailing-photo.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Congrats! Nice boat! Welcome to SN!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 10-19-2011

Undadar is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard Geoff! Sail often and in conditions that you are comfortable with and you'll be an old hand in no time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience. ó George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-19-2011

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
Geoff,

Nice boat! Even came with the stylin' bow mud bucket option! Piece of advice . . . sail like crazy, every minute you can. Occasionally sail in challenging (but not dangerous) conditions. Enjoy her. She's a beauty!

Don

Maine
Old 10-20-2011
Captain Cat

TheCruisingKitty is on a distinguished road
Welcome Geoff.

Consider joining a boat club to get to meet other sailors and take some group lessons.

Are there any community or coop type boat clubs in your area? It's worth a quick internet search.

If you're near any size city with a waterfront, there is usually a community boat club somewhere. The club fees aren't too much, everyone becomes part owner in the club's boats and there are usually adult sailing lessons available.

These tend to be small, friendly, social clubs with lots of BBQs and informal get togethers. It's good fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-22-2011

triathjohn is on a distinguished road
sea anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonScribner View Post
Geoff,

Nice boat! Even came with the stylin' bow mud bucket option! Piece of advice . . . sail like crazy, every minute you can. Occasionally sail in challenging (but not dangerous) conditions. Enjoy her. She's a beauty!

Don

Maine
...or is that a sea anchor
Old 11-03-2011

GeoffWest7 is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone for the replies. I have looked into a sailing club that has adult lessons and I think my wife, my friend, his wife and I are all going to join the club and take some lessons. I am really looking forward to getting back on the boat and can't stop thinking about it. Sadly I must wait until November 16th. And Don, you're right. It is a mud bucket that we had just finished using to scrub the deck.
Old 11-03-2011

KIVALO is on a distinguished road
Welcome Geoff from a fellow new comer! Sharp looking boat you got there!