Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2011
Sea gal

msflambe is on a distinguished road
Smile Hi from So Cal

I've been sailing a little over a year. I'd been sailing with my partner to Catalina at least once a month (some times twice) for seven months, and when we broke up, I was willing to let go of everything but the sailing. So I took lessons and got keelboat certified, and now I'm trying to find community and learn all the stuff I don't even know that I need to know, you know?

I've been looking to buy a boat, but the slip fees are too much of a monthly commitment for me, and trailering isn't an option on my Toyota Echo. So I'm looking for partnership opportunities. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2011

triathjohn is on a distinguished road
You may be able to tow a little trailer with a windsurfer on it. I've done some windsurfing and the sailing principles are the same.
Old 10-22-2011

Don1500 is on a distinguished road
We towed a Hobie cat with a VW bug (in the 60-70's) for years. And yes, you can make Catalina in a 18' Hobie, faster than most Monohulls. Some times we just threw the Hobie ON TOP of the bug, tied the mast to it and drove to the bay that way (Approx 5 miles at the time.)

There are many boats you can tow with a small car, just gotta be willing to do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call
"It is the bliss of ignorance that tempts the fool, but it is he who sees the wonders of the earth." -May God protect this fool.-

Last edited by Don1500; 10-22-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-22-2011
Sea gal

msflambe is on a distinguished road
I'm laughing at the thought of the cat straddling the VW's roof. I get it. Sail at all costs! Here in Cali the water is freaking cold (I'm from So Fla originally) so there's no way I'm going to get on a windsurfer. Nope.

I was actually looking at a pretty sweet West Wight Potter. A 14-footer. The Echo's manual, however, says not to tow. And I need to drive more than I need to sail (I invoke Maslow's hierarchy here) so I don't want to chance it.

I did find a partnership, get this, on two ELECTRIC sailboats -- a Newport 30 and a Catalina 27, both converted. Three days a month $100. Not a bad deal. So I think I'll try that out while I work on converting everything in my life to support sailing.
Old 10-22-2011

Don1500 is on a distinguished road
I agree about the water in SoCal (I'm in Corona). I just bought a boat in Annapolis, MD to save myself the trip through the canal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call
"It is the bliss of ignorance that tempts the fool, but it is he who sees the wonders of the earth." -May God protect this fool.-

Tags
california , catalina , partnership