Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2011

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
Kevin,

How deep are your pockets? (Don't answer that). If I could be so bold, I would suggest picking up a copy of "The Complete Trailer Sailor" by Brian Gilbert. He covers all sorts of subjects on sailing and trailering. He also includes 50 or so boats from 16' to 26' in the back, with specs, drawings, photos, pros and cons. It could help you find one you like. A decent boat in that range can be picked up for about $4500, including trailer. Try sailing, and when the sailing bug goes viral and you begin live-eat-breath sailing and hemorrhage money, you'll know it's time to hock your soul for a bigger boat and a mooring. Otherwise, you put the boat back on Ebay for $4600. There are some amazing deals right now. Try SEARCHTEMPEST.com and search Craigslist in your area. I bought out Lancer in Mattapoisette, MA just about this time. We got her home a couple of weeks before Christmas. Never regretted it!

Fair Winds,

Don
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2011
Kevin

paintpollz is on a distinguished road
Don,

Thanks again for the suggestions, they are invaluable!

Good thing I work right across from a Barnes and Noble. Plenty of reading material there, I will definitely pick up the Complete Trailer Sailor.

What do you think about taking some lessons in the summer, and then if I do live-eat-breath sailing along with hemorrhage money, pick one up say a year from now?

I trailered a ski boat for a summer, and its a real PITA, especially waiting at the launch. I'd rather avoid trailering and set the boat up at a mooring....

Let me know your thoughs, thanks.
Old 11-21-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
I'm not Don but Donna is close enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
What do you think about taking some lessons in the summer, and then if I do live-eat-breath sailing along with hemorrhage money, pick one up say a year from now?
Very sensible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
I trailered a ski boat for a summer, and its a real PITA, especially waiting at the launch. I'd rather avoid trailering and set the boat up at a mooring....
Exactly why we kept our trailer boat in a slip. I hated dragging it around and hated the boat ramp attitudes even more. Others don't mind it at all but it wasn't for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 11-21-2011
Kevin

paintpollz is on a distinguished road
Hi Donna,
Donna,

I was saying Don for "DonScribner," sorry if I was confusing!

I moved out of my house and I'm in an apartment now. Finding a place to store the boat/trailer is a challenge. I didn't mind hauling the boat at all, I used to have a 2500HD that towed very well. Now I can a subaru, and that's not going to cut it haha. Sunday evening at the launch waiting to pull the boat out, no thanks. Been there done that.
Old 11-21-2011

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
Kevin,

You and Donna are both quite right. It is a pain to trailer, step and launch. We've got it pretty much down. We can be on the water in about 1/2 hour from the time that I stop the truck, on a good day. But, it's cost, availability and flexibility that drive it. I can tack dead-up-wind at 70 knots and reach the other chart in about 2 hours. I launch south in Wells at noon, it's York Beach by 5:00 for a night on the town or a little thing I like to call "Merlot Time". It involves a nice meal, a cool glass of Merlot and an warm woman (my lovely bride of 31 years). Or we can launch in Portland, and be at Jewell Island, Cocktail Cove, anchor down just in time for a tranguil night of being rocked to sleep . . . . after a cool glass of Merlot. Each destination (and many more) are reachable from our home launch in Biddeford, but only with an additional 4 to six hours of sailing.

Stay Salty My Friend,

Don