SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Best route from Long Island sound to upper chesapeake bay

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  HUGOSALT 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
Im planning to go pickup a sailboat we just purchased in long island sound. This one for my son I already have mine th
at I kinda took from him after I feel in love with her an just had to have her, (what are moms for lol) But we are planning to pick her up the week of Dec 12th. She is a 41ft cutter an Im worried about the ice I might run into. After we get her to the chesapeake we are going to sail her to Moorehead City NC. Again worried about the ice. I just was wanting some imput from those who know these routes better than I.
Thanks
Leigh (restless spirit)

#3 ·
thanks but bridge closures

thanks, we made the trip in aug from rock hall MD to moorehead city nc an loved it. Took alittle damage in the hurricane but not bad. I've been looking to find the best way to come across to the chesapeake bay and have found some bridge closings. Have you heard of any problems.
thanks
Leigh

#5 ·
Hi Leigh,
Our home base is western LIS and we sail into December on our
boat and all winter on friends...there is zero chance of ice this
time of year on the route you would travel...later in the winter
you could have ice in the sound (rarely) and coming down the Hudson River into New York harbor (more likely).
Same thing with Delaware Bay if your going up through the
C&D canal. Stay warm and enjoy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.