Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2011

VentureCat15 is on a distinguished road
Where to spend my time?

Hello all...
Windsurfing is my passion, but when the wind falls below 12 knots and I can no longer plane... I sail. Then, if the wind falls below a breath, to nothing, I kayak. I live on the shore of Lake Erie, and when I look out in the morning, or while I'm doing my chores around the house, I can tell what I'm going to be doing later that day by looking at the water. When I first got interested in sailing, I bought an old venturecat15 catamaran and fixed her up, sailed her one season on Lake Erie. I found that she was fast, but wet, (I was continually sprayed and soaked) and her old hulls moved independently from each other in a good blow and seemed like they would come apart...
So, I now have a CL16 monohull, which is sturdy and dry. I've had her two years, and I want to take her out camping in the future.
I have 15 more years to work, and during that time, I plan to buy a 20some footer and sail on Lake Erie as much as possible until I retire, then live aboard and become a snow bird sailing up and down the east coast, following the seasons.
The trouble is, when i buy a keel boat and keep her in a slip, I know I will be spending all my spare time there, and my windsurfing and kayaking time may suffer. I know that at some point I need to graduate to a big boat, but I'm hesitant to do so. I'm also working on my house and still have some work to do there. All good problems, just waiting for the right time. I guess it will be obvious when it's right. In the mean time, I'll sail my CL16.
Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2011

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
Venture,

You already sail. You own a monohull and you want to move up. You want to live aboard and it sounds like you're single. You understand the whole slip/mooring thing. My suggestion . . . buy a mid 80's Catalina 30 for about $15,000. Decent boat. Big enough to entertain. Small enough to loose into the depths (God forbid) and not loose your shirt. Common enough to buy parts for.

Don

Maine
Old 11-20-2011

Thanks Don - yes, single for now, but looking for the perfect partner for the future and the lifestyle - a lady who doesn't need all those "niceties" I saw in a recent thread about what women look for in a boat - AC, comfort, blah, blah.
I'd like to get a project boat and spend time going over every inch of her fixing her up before I hit the water. Most of the time I would be single-handing, so ease in that department would be good. I love the look and the lines, full keel, of a bristol but I realize that they are not the fastest and might not be practical for a first boat on Lake Erie. There are several marinas around here, and when I ride my bike through them, I see that many boats never touch the water, so they must be available. When I decide to buy, there will be a good number of boats to chose from, but I will have a commitment then. I shun the lifestyle where people have too much going on and can't afford the time to concentrate on any one of them adequately - time is like currency, you have to decide where to put it. If one has a boat and a house and a career and family and girlfriend and hobbies - none gets the proper attention and all go begging, frustration and neglect are the result. So for now I'll read and bide my time until I'm ready. Window is ten years.
Old 11-20-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureCat15 View Post
...All good problems, just waiting for the right time. I guess it will be obvious when it's right. ...
Any advice?
It sounds to me like you're on the right path. Keep on living your life and don't sweat it. As you say, when it's right, you'll know it.

My partner came into my life long after I stopped looking and was just doing my thing. I was happy with me and my lifestyle and wasn't interested in compromising, so when I met someone compatible, it was all the sweeter.

Sometimes the right boat happens like that, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 11-20-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Is this the CL 16? Sailboats Online
It looks like a fun boat. Looks like you can fly a spinnaker with it. Have you tried that yet?
You windsurf, have a catamaran and now you are talking about a keel boat? I will suggest that that would be a pretty large fleet and, as you suggest, your time will become more divided and fractured, not to mention the additional expenses.

I'd suggest trying to get aboard a few 30' or less keel boats to see how you like it before you pull any triggers. My Tartan 27' was made on the shores of Lake Erie in Fairport, OH. It is a good sailor and pretty easy to single hand. We've sailed it in some pretty strong winds that would be difficult for board sailing, IMHO.

Enjoy what you have and pull the trigger when you are ready.

I still own a now old Mistral board sailor, a 14' day sailor, a Tartan 27' and I had to give up on a 19' Lightning as it was just toooo many boats.

Everybody has one:

Old 11-21-2011

CalebD,
Yes, that's the CL16. I haven't used a spinnaker on her yet. I love windsurfing because I can get on the water a lot easier that way than on a boat. For an after-work session on a summer afternoon, I can be on the water windsurfing in half the time it takes me to get out in my boat.
Old 11-21-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
VC15,
There is a saying about boats that goes something like this: "The amount of time that a boat get's used is inversely proportional to it's size and complexity."
A windsurfer also gets you more physical exercise then a keel boat, is easy to put on a car top and set up and break down time are minimal.
My point about the spinnaker on your CL 16 is that you still have some challenges left to explore with that boat. Of course it is best to try flying the spin with at least one extra crew member; preferably someone who has done it before. I'd guess that your CL 16 will get up on a plane with the spinnaker and will remind you a bit of some wild rides on your windsurfer.
It sounds like a keel boat is likely to be in your future though. Now is a good time to try to get aboard as many different boats as you can so you have a good idea of what you'd be getting into.
Enjoy your fleet!

Everybody has one:

Old 11-21-2011

I definitely have some more ground to cover with my CL-16. Camping and pulling her ashore at night, sailing with a load of gear on board, etc. I find that I'm single handing her in an empty hull most of the time, and I can't fully sheet in against anything over 8 knots with a full main and genoa. When I have passengers, they usually want to be just that - passengers, except that my daughter is a great sailor and she and I hang out over the side and counterbalance some good breezes. But when it's blowing 15, I'm usually headed for shore and running up to the house to grab my windsurfing gear...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.