Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2011

FishDragon is on a distinguished road
Sail Replacement Advice Wanted

I believe my boat - A 1972 Macgreggor Venture 21 - needs new sails. As I'm such a newbie, it's difficult for me to know for sure, but they seem very stretched out. Is there a way to tell if sails are stretched beyond reasonable usage? Can sails that have been stretched out of shape be fixed? If I buy new sails, how can I best determine what kind to buy?

I'm not going to be doing any racing - just cruising, but I want the boat to sail as well as possible without spending a fortune. Any advice I can get would be most appreciated.

Marc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Do you know how old the existing sails are? If they have a very soft 'hand'.. ie there's no crackle left when you flake or fold them it's likely they are nearing the end of their useful life.. are they badly discoloured? another indication of age.

Look at some sail trim articles... if your sails don't look like they set up similarly, and you can't make them look like that, then again, your sails may essentially be toast. But reading those articles may give you some ideas on halyard and sheet tensions that might be making your sails look bad and hurting performance.

In the end, if you decide to renew, shop around.. try FX sails online for some guidelines, they often come in much less than the mainstream sailmakers.. at least you'll have a comparison point. There's much to be said for buying locally, esp from an after-sales-service perspective, so that's a factor to think about too.

Otherwise that's a relatively well known boat and getting sails made for it will not be complicated.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-27-2011

I don't know thw age of the sails, and I'm too inexperienced and/or unknowledgeable to know the state of their "hand" or "crackle". However, they're not discolored much, if at all, and have no serious damage - although I have the sails at home and will see what I can determine about these things. I'll also look into FX and others per your suggestion.

Thank you!
Old 11-27-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The 'hand' of a sail is how it feels to handle the cloth... a sail that feels soft and not somewhat stiff is getting on. If it still makes a noise when you fold or flake it there may be some life in it.

It's also possible you're not hoisting the sail enough.. if there are sags or 'scallops' between your hanks and/or slugs then the halyard is not tight enough. The correct tension here is important to how the sail sets up. As a general rule hoist until you've a slight vertical wrinkle when you're head to wind.. there may be marks on the mast for the max hoist of the main (a black band - but lots of boats won't have that)

Getting some experience and perhaps asking someone knowledgeable to spend an hour or two with you will get you on the right track. There are plenty of articles and books on the subject too, of course.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-28-2011

Thank you for the additional info. Talked about these things with my wife last night, and we're pretty sure we had the mainsail hoisted sufficiently - but I will keep that in mind this spring (which is much too far away, unfortunately).

Cheerio!
Old 11-28-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
You can post pics and that might get some better advice as to their state, although the "touchy feely" portion of the test will be missing.

If you do decide to go with new sails, most sail lofts have used or "trade in" sails available for a lot less than going with new. Having a common boat comes in handy when it's time for replacement of sails, as there should be a somewhat decent inventory of used sails out there. If there are no rips or tears in the seams/stitching, and they seem stiffer than say a cotton shirt, no need to replace. If I really didn't know, I'd befriend dock neighbors, and find one with practical experience that will share his/her knowledge, and ask them. Sailors are usually friendly folks.
Old 11-28-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishDragon View Post
I believe my boat - A 1972 Macgreggor Venture 21 - needs new sails. As I'm such a newbie, it's difficult for me to know for sure, but they seem very stretched out. Is there a way to tell if sails are stretched beyond reasonable usage? Can sails that have been stretched out of shape be fixed? If I buy new sails, how can I best determine what kind to buy?

I'm not going to be doing any racing - just cruising, but I want the boat to sail as well as possible without spending a fortune. Any advice I can get would be most appreciated.

Marc
Marc--

There are quite a few good sail lofts in your area, any of which can examine your sails and make suggestions, repairs etc. Unless you are racing and/or unless the fabric is rotten, older sails can be cleaned, re-cut and reconditioned reasonable inexpensively, particularly so for a small boat such as yours. For example, there is a company by the name of SailCare ( see Sail Care for sail cleaning, sail repair, new sails, roller furlings and sailing equipment) in Penn. that does very good cleaning and refurbishment of older sails. We had them refurb a 10 year old 135 Genoa on our prior boat (Cal 2-29) and the sail came back looking new and performed extremely well.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.