Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2011

greeneave is on a distinguished road
Lzjax

Has anyone use this system and how does it compared standard lazy jacks? I debating LZJAX versus Dutchman with is 4-+ the price when you include the sail modification.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The nice idea with the LZ jax system is that you can continue to use a standard sail cover and you can have the sail free of the chafe and rubbing that goes with standard lazyjacks.

However I don't think it's too much of a job to DIY a similar system at considerable savings. We use something similar but stow them off the mast where they can't slap and rattle in a breeze. The top two parts are rope, the bottom (4 part) section is shock cord. These hook temporarily onto the boom for dousing the sail. During the hoist and while sailing they are stretched via another short shock cord to our SS cabintop handrails keeping the whole works off the mast altogether.

This has worked well for us for 7 years.. we replace the shockcord every few seasons.. it doesn't fare all that well in the constant exposure.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-01-2011

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
I agree with making your own. I made mine a few years ago for ~$100 in parts. Very simple to do. Only took my 4 hours to make and install them.
Old 12-01-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
I had a rigger make them up for Raven but was never happy with the result. Redid them myself a couple of years back and more than happy. Went to four instead of three legs, reduced friction all round and installed shock cord to replace sail ties. Worked well though I've always regretted not going to a boom bag when I had the chance.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 12-01-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneave View Post
Has anyone use this system and how does it compared standard lazy jacks? I debating LZJAX versus Dutchman with is 4-+ the price when you include the sail modification.
If you are referring to EZ-Jax we ordered and installed a set on our prior yacht, a 1976 Cal 2-29, during a major refit in 1999-2000 and were very happy with the arrangement. It worked extremely well and we could get the lines neatly stowed when not necessary. When we were fitting out our current yacht, I had planned to install the same system but let myself be talked into a Dutchman system. While the Dutchman works, it's something of a pain in the neck and, of course, cannot be easily pulled out of the way to set a tri-sail so I regret the purchase. Before we head off on our next long cruise we will likely replace the Dutchman with a set of EZ-Jax.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."