Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2011
The Cal 1968

jeffgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Harken Verses CDI Furler

I'm in the process of purchasing a new furler for my boat. I have pretty much setteled on the Harken. Looking for input on Pro's and Con's of Harken verses CDI system. As far as the Harken any setup and install tricks you might have. This system is to be installed on a 1968 Cal 25. I look forward to your input. Thanks Jeff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
One important thing is to heed Harken's instructions, concerning the angle the jib halyard makes versus the forestay. If it's less than a certain angle, they specify a halyard restrainer on the mast.

Having suffered a halyard wrapped around the furler / forestay, I suggest a restrainer if in any doubt. If it happens, it'll be on a windy day in the middle of the ocean. Then you get to wrap the jib by hand around the forestay.

Harken also recommend their ratchet block for the furling line. This is good advice too, it really helps deploy the jib in a progressive way instead of with a big bang when it's windy.
Old 12-08-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Another good feature of the Harken is the ease with which you can expose the forestay turnbuckle for adjustment/inspection. The CDI may as well, not sure, but it's pretty easy with the way the Harken provides that kind of access. Most older furlers did not facilitate this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-08-2011

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
I agree with both previous posts. The only thing I'm wondering about is why you are limiting your choices to only these two.
For instance; if you are planning to replace the headstay, which I would strongly advise if it's more than a couple of years old, you might want to consider a Furlex. They come with the wire, a furling line, lead blocks, and most importantly restrainers.
I believe Hood is also offering a package deal on the Sea Furl 5.
Why not compare them all. Just a thought.
Old 12-10-2011

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
I don't know much about furlers but I own a CDI. The "halyard" runs inside the foil so there is no possibility of halyard wrap . . I think. I mean, my standard jib halyard still goes through the mast head and down the mast but is held taut at all times. Is this the same situation that could cause halyard wrap?
Old 12-10-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
I took a look at the CDI website, on the FF, at least, the halyard is internal so it can't suffer the wrap problem I had with the Harken. But if installed correctly the Harken works fine.

I don't know what you mean by this : "my standard jib halyard still goes through the mast head and down the mast but is held taut at all times"

The CDI design I can see has an internal halyard and the furler replaces the forestay. The standard halyard is redundant. Or am I missing something?
Old 12-10-2011

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonScribner View Post
I don't know much about furlers but I own a CDI. The "halyard" runs inside the foil so there is no possibility of halyard wrap . . I think. I mean, my standard jib halyard still goes through the mast head and down the mast but is held taut at all times. Is this the same situation that could cause halyard wrap?
No. Halyard wrap is caused when the same halyard that is attached to the halyard swivel gets wrapped around the foil. The CDI doesn't have a halyard swivel.
If you keep the unused regular halyard taut it will probably never be a problem.
A Spinnaker halyard can be more of a problem. Since they are above the headstay, they have more of a tendency to get caught up in the furler. You have to figure out how to keep them clear.

CDI's internal halyard does eliminate the need for a halyard restrainer.
Old 12-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I took a look at the CDI website, on the FF, at least, the halyard is internal so it can't suffer the wrap problem I had with the Harken. But if installed correctly the Harken works fine.

I don't know what you mean by this : "my standard jib halyard still goes through the mast head and down the mast but is held taut at all times"

The CDI design I can see has an internal halyard and the furler replaces the forestay. The standard halyard is redundant. Or am I missing something?
None of CDI's systems replace the forestay They are installed over the forestay and rotate around it.
You're right, the standard halyard is redundant with the CDI.
Old 12-11-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Wasn't it the Hyde (Streamstay?) that used the foil as a stay? It also had twin grooves but at opposite ends of the foil, IIRC. Seemed an awkward setup to use....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-11-2011

wmmulvey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgoldberg View Post
I'm in the process of purchasing a new furler for my boat. I have pretty much setteled on the Harken. Looking for input on Pro's and Con's of Harken verses CDI system. As far as the Harken any setup and install tricks you might have. This system is to be installed on a 1968 Cal 25. I look forward to your input. Thanks Jeff.
Jeff,

Check this out

Alado Nautica USA Reefing and Roller Furling Systems Home Page

I'm getting a furler for this season. I pretty much think this will be the one.

BILL
ESPA
1969 MORGAN 30

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.