Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2011
Semi-Pro

Springline is on a distinguished road
Hello Sailnet,

I've been lurking here for several months, and I decided that enough was enough, and I should start interacting with this extremely useful bunch.
So, a little bit about myself; My name is Alex, I'm turning 24, and I've got the bug. I've worked on the water for many years now, and have a 100GT Master's to show for it, but until last year, it was a strictly business relationship. Last year, I was given the opportunity to crew on some point to point races with my girlfriend's father, aboard his C & C 41. This year I got the same opportunity, and took the time to get in some good practice trimming the sails, learning what to watch for windwise, etc.
I'm a stinkboat skipper by trade, but I'd really rather not own one of the things. Within the next year, I want to purchase a small(ish) sailboat for myself. Racing isn't exactly my scene, so I've been looking at cruisers at around 25 feet.
This leaves me in an interesting position, experience-wise. My only sailing experience, aside from the 16,000lb monster 41, is dinghy sailing from back when I was in Boy Scouts. In terms of general seamanship, such as currents, tides, plotting course, Docking etc. I'm quite experienced, the only problem lies in the actual sailing. To what extent are my lessons from the C&C applicable to a boat that is a little more than half as long, and weighs less than her keel?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springline View Post
To what extent are my lessons from the C&C applicable to a boat that is a little more than half as long, and weighs less than her keel?
Welcome to Sailnet, Alex!

Your time on the C&C wasn't wasted. It got you hooked, that's a good thing. It also probably gave you a realistic idea of what it means to care for and handle a boat that size. Something people who go from zero to 60 don't often realize until they've made the investment.

The smaller the boat the more responsive it is to the wind, current, etc. As I'm sure you remember from your Scout days since they weren't that long ago. In a small boat you'll feel every twitch and jerk where the larger you go those movements fade. I always thought the people who started with the wet boats have an advantage as they move up.

You'll find that there's always something to learn on a sailboat. Just when you have a great sail day and you think "I've got it!" you turn a corner and learn there is something else that can be applied to tweak the sails. So the next time out you add that element. It continues. That's part of the joy of it.

Anyone tells you they know everything about sailing, walk away. The best teacher is the one who is still open to learning something new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 12-15-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 12-15-2011
Semi-Pro

Springline is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post

Anyone tells you they know everything about sailing, walk away. The best teacher is the one who is still open to learning something new.
Thanks for the reply, its good to be here!

Yeah, OPB sailing has been a good teacher so far. Still, for someone in my situation, would formal lessons be a good investment? I live around Narragansett Bay, so my options aren't exactly limited. I almost feel that hammering it out myself is a better route, as I learn by doing, but a quick look at the seamanship fora shows that a lot of others have had trouble with "just doing it".
Old 12-15-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
As you might see if you read other posts from people in your situation, I'm an advocate of some type of instruction. Taking either the USCG Auxiliary or US Power and Sail Squadron classroom courses will introduce you to the rules of the road, navigation, your legal responsibilities, communications, weather and other stuff you need to know. Taking an American Sailing Association (ASA) or US Sailing on-water course will benefit your sailing skills.

All three have location finders on their websites.

Just as many people will tell you to just go out and sail and don't worry about any instructions. When I started sailing I took courses from all mentioned above (except US Sailing) and found that I benefited from being able to learn from and ask questions of people who have sailed in all types of waters and conditions and on different types of boats.

And there's nothing stopping you from sailing while you learn.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 12-18-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springline View Post
the only problem lies in the actual sailing.
Sailing ain't rocket science (Although you can get a technical as you like) Folks have been doing it for thousands of years.

Quote:
To what extent are my lessons from the C&C applicable to a boat that is a little more than half as long, and weighs less than her keel?
A bit like the difference between driving a school bus and a sports car.

Quote:
would formal lessons be a good investment?
All kidding aside, I think formal lessons are always a good idea.

Last edited by vega1860; 12-18-2011 at 08:48 PM.