Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2011

ur_other_port is on a distinguished road
Noob couple:KL, FL

Hello sailnet community,
Ive been lurking for ab 2 months now and have learned a great deal from everyone's posts and replies, thank you. My wife and I are interested in learning to sail. We live in Key Largo I work 20 days aboard a tow boat on the Mississippi River pushing barges, she lives and works in KL full time. I have 10 days off a month which is a perfect window to get out on the water. Before the towboat I moved up through the ranks on a dive boat in KL from dive instructor to captain to technical dive instructor(teach He to 170fsw). If anyone needs a strong back to pull a few lines I would gladly donate my time . we are looking to buy a small daysailer training boat(20ft range) in the next year. something that we can both learn on.
In the meantime if anyone is heading out in the Miami, KL, Islamrorada area please let me know. I am a hard worker. Besides anyone who can haul 100ft of 3inch line 600ft down the barge knows how to work.
Thank You,
Michael
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Welcome!

When we drive to Key West our favorite restaurant to stop for lunch to and from the airport is in Key Largo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 12-15-2011

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Are you taking applications on the Tow?

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 12-15-2011

you can apply at any one of the major companies Blessey, Marquette, Kirby there are tons more. the good comanies require a personal reference. some pay for your travel some dont

Last edited by ur_other_port; 12-15-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-16-2011

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
Mike,

It sounds like you're way ahead of the game. Take sailing lessons if you can. That's best, but if you can't, buy the boat and get out there. Instruction from books and Youtube will get you started and a string of "learning moments" on the water will teach you the reason why some things work and others don't. You probably have a good head on your shoulders, and you probably aren't a Yahoo. You'll do fine.

As far as the boat, consider something a little bit larger. My lovely bride and I bought a Lancer 25 four years ago. 25 foot is about as big a trailerable as you want to get. We tow her and launch her every time we sail. She takes about 1/2 hour to step and rig. The big benefit is room. If you'll be spending time on the water, space is a premium. Also head room and "head" room. Smaller boat ofter require crawling or squatting to get into and the head is often a porta-potti set in the middle of the cabin. And you also need room for a thing I like to call "Merlot Time". Even after 31 years of marriage, it's still important.

If I may be bold, pick up a copy of The Complete Trailer Sailor by Brian Gilbert (or something like it). In the back if the book he has a section on boats from 15 feet to 28 feet with photos, sketches, specs, pros and cons. It could help you pick the perfect boat for you.

Don
Old 12-18-2011

Thanks for the encouraging advice everyone!! Don I will look for that book on my next rotation home. There is plenty of time for reading on the towboat. This months book is my grandfathers 1978 Duttons.