SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Retiring Aboard

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  deow 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I was thinking of retiring on a sailboat in about five years. I expect to join the Royal Hamilton Yacht Club (Ontario) in the summer so that I can get some experience and training. I know that for a lot of people, living on a boat is a fascinating idea that can sour quickly when put into practice. I've got five years to see if I actually love sailing rather than just the idea of it.

There's a lot of great information on this site. I just got here, and I've already learned a lot :)

#2 ·
You've got the right plan... join a club, get some experience and maybe even some cruising time if you make the right friends.. but.....

What sort of boat are you planning on (do you have one now?)
Around here the costs alone to join a 'Royal' club at near-retirement age will buy you a pretty decent boat...
Is this a solo liveaboard situation?
Does your club/or other available moorage locations sanction liveaboards?

Budget will have a big bearing on how successful this plan is.. best of luck with it!

.. and Welcome to Sailnet!:)

#3 ·
What sort of boat are you planning on (do you have one now?)
I was thinking of a 30' to 35' older boat. I've looked online and there are tons of them out there for less than $50K. I want functional over fancy. For example, I'd be happy with mostly just a head, galley, and hammock inside.

Around here the costs alone to join a 'Royal' club at near-retirement age will buy you a pretty decent boat...
A 3-month Introductory Membership is around $750. The courses aren't all that expensive.

Is this a solo liveaboard situation?
Yes.

Does your club/or other available moorage locations sanction liveaboards?
I'd leave this area when the time came. I was thinking of spending my time between Montreal and the Maritimes to begin with, and heading to the Caribbean and further afield, eventually.

Budget will have a big bearing on how successful this plan is..
I have some flexibility -- I could wait a bit longer to retire if the numbers don't look good enough. My plan is to go at 62, but I could go at 65.

best of luck with it!

.. and Welcome to Sailnet!:)

#5 ·
Hey, welcome! We've been living on an older (1980) 33-footer for almost 10 years, and loving our life! Betting you will too. Lots of boats in your price/size range ... and we've seen some surprisingly lightweight things coasting south. Since you're retiring, you'll have time to pick the best weather (which means you aren't limited to bluewater boats).

#6 ·
We share some of WingNwing's cruising ground and cruise south for the winter as retirees. We've been cruising north and south while living aboard on the East Coast for many years while keeping some community in 25 to 30 ports. We spend much time anchored out, but when we do take a slip we usually take a monthly rate. Daily transient rates are high. Free docks and anchorages with amenities are not common, but present for short periods and some mooring fields suit us well. There's a fairly large supportive community that tends to flock in specific areas with the seasons. There are "snowbird rookeries" in Vero Beach and Marathon that we avoid, but some like to stick with the big crowds. At the the northern range marinas are more expensive north of the Chesapeake, but there are great summer anchorages all the way up through Maine. We usually find our best monthly rates in Baltimore and the St. Johns River of North Florida, but cruise from Maine to the Bahamas. We know little about houses, but we've been liveaboard cruisers for forty years and it's an easy life. Take care and joy, Aythya crew

#9 ·
we've been liveaboard cruisers for forty years and it's an easy life.
That's a good long time. It appears that a love of sailing tends to become a lifelong thing. I'm surprised how many older people are out in the water, as well. Even though I'm starting late in life, I might still have several years to sail around with.

#11 ·
Thanks for the info, Faster. I'm going to read my brains out until I get a chance to sail. After I get some lessons, I'll try to volunteer as crew. I think I'll figure out what I want to do once I get my feet wet. So to speak :)

#13 ·
FINALLY, someone new to the place with a "plan" that makes sense!!!!! Whew, there
for a minute I thought it was gonna all be, "I just decided this morning to liveaboard and
want to leave this afternoon on a sailboat. I've never actually been on a boat, but I'm a
quick study".

Thanks for joining, and more importantly for at least "seeming" rational. Good luck with
your journey and I'm sure you'll end up loving it like the rest of us. Welcome aboard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.