Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2011

deow is on a distinguished road
Retiring Aboard

Hello all,

I was thinking of retiring on a sailboat in about five years. I expect to join the Royal Hamilton Yacht Club (Ontario) in the summer so that I can get some experience and training. I know that for a lot of people, living on a boat is a fascinating idea that can sour quickly when put into practice. I've got five years to see if I actually love sailing rather than just the idea of it.

There's a lot of great information on this site. I just got here, and I've already learned a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-26-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
You've got the right plan... join a club, get some experience and maybe even some cruising time if you make the right friends.. but.....

What sort of boat are you planning on (do you have one now?)
Around here the costs alone to join a 'Royal' club at near-retirement age will buy you a pretty decent boat...
Is this a solo liveaboard situation?
Does your club/or other available moorage locations sanction liveaboards?

Budget will have a big bearing on how successful this plan is.. best of luck with it!

.. and Welcome to Sailnet!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
What sort of boat are you planning on (do you have one now?)
I was thinking of a 30' to 35' older boat. I've looked online and there are tons of them out there for less than $50K. I want functional over fancy. For example, I'd be happy with mostly just a head, galley, and hammock inside.

Quote:
Around here the costs alone to join a 'Royal' club at near-retirement age will buy you a pretty decent boat...
A 3-month Introductory Membership is around $750. The courses aren't all that expensive.

Quote:
Is this a solo liveaboard situation?
Yes.

Quote:
Does your club/or other available moorage locations sanction liveaboards?
I'd leave this area when the time came. I was thinking of spending my time between Montreal and the Maritimes to begin with, and heading to the Caribbean and further afield, eventually.

Quote:
Budget will have a big bearing on how successful this plan is..
I have some flexibility -- I could wait a bit longer to retire if the numbers don't look good enough. My plan is to go at 62, but I could go at 65.

Quote:
best of luck with it!

.. and Welcome to Sailnet!
Thanks
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 12-26-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by deow View Post
I was thinking of a 30' to 35' older boat. I've looked online and there are tons of them out there for less than $50K. I want functional over fancy. For example, I'd be happy with mostly just a head, galley, and hammock inside.
For $50K and 30-ish feet you should do fine... maybe even more than a hammock! esp if you have time to research and shop but be ready to 'pull the trigger' on the 'right' deal...

Quote:
A 3-month Introductory Membership is around $750. The courses aren't all that expensive.
I don't believe that options exists here. Interesting. I'm a similar age to yourself and to join RVYC would likely cost $30K plus - and we'd still be on a moorage waitlist.

Quote:
I'd leave this area when the time came. I was thinking of spending my time between Montreal and the Maritimes to begin with, and heading to the Caribbean and further afield, eventually.
Living on the hook does avoid moorage issues, but seasonally on the east coast you're still looking at winter haulouts.. regular marina visits would chew into the day to day budgeting pretty quick.

The plan to cruise south narrows the field of acceptable boats.. and raises the ante on seaworthiness and good equipment for the slog down the coast...

Keep us posted!!

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 12-26-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Hey, welcome! We've been living on an older (1980) 33-footer for almost 10 years, and loving our life! Betting you will too. Lots of boats in your price/size range ... and we've seen some surprisingly lightweight things coasting south. Since you're retiring, you'll have time to pick the best weather (which means you aren't limited to bluewater boats).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 12-26-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
We share some of WingNwing's cruising ground and cruise south for the winter as retirees. We've been cruising north and south while living aboard on the East Coast for many years while keeping some community in 25 to 30 ports. We spend much time anchored out, but when we do take a slip we usually take a monthly rate. Daily transient rates are high. Free docks and anchorages with amenities are not common, but present for short periods and some mooring fields suit us well. There's a fairly large supportive community that tends to flock in specific areas with the seasons. There are "snowbird rookeries" in Vero Beach and Marathon that we avoid, but some like to stick with the big crowds. At the the northern range marinas are more expensive north of the Chesapeake, but there are great summer anchorages all the way up through Maine. We usually find our best monthly rates in Baltimore and the St. Johns River of North Florida, but cruise from Maine to the Bahamas. We know little about houses, but we've been liveaboard cruisers for forty years and it's an easy life. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 12-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
The plan to cruise south narrows the field of acceptable boats.. and raises the ante on seaworthiness and good equipment for the slog down the coast...
I need to learn the difference between boats. Is this a matter of fundamental design and specifications, or merely equipment?
Old 12-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Since you're retiring, you'll have time to pick the best weather (which means you aren't limited to bluewater boats).
I could also buy a boat that's already south, and just stay there. I have to admit that I don't even know enough to make a plan, so it's all wide open at this point
Old 12-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
we've been liveaboard cruisers for forty years and it's an easy life.
That's a good long time. It appears that a love of sailing tends to become a lifelong thing. I'm surprised how many older people are out in the water, as well. Even though I'm starting late in life, I might still have several years to sail around with.
Old 12-28-2011
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deow View Post
I need to learn the difference between boats. Is this a matter of fundamental design and specifications, or merely equipment?
Fact is, most boats can probably take more than most people, but if you're doing mostly daysailing harbourhopping, or passages rarely more than a night or two long then pretty well any well-found production boat will do, esp, as wing-n-wing suggested, you pick your weather windows.

Boats considered 'blue water' or serious offshore boats will be better suited for long passages, trans-ocean type of sailing. One of the main requirements here besides serious structural integrity is adequate storage for food, water and gear. These boats tend to be on the heavier side, both in construction and displacement.

Loading down a mid to lightweight cruiser/racer with enough food/water to sustain a crew to Hawaii, for example, can seriously impact the performance of the boat until some of the heavy stores are consumed. Sailing solo some of these issues are easier to deal with as you'll need less.

Buying a boat already there makes sense except that you won't get the boat-owning experience you want in the immediate future (which would stand you in good stead once you set off - there's nothing like truly knowing your boat)

If you're thinking the ICW and maybe Bahamas then another major consideration is going to be draft, I believe over 5 feet can limit your options in the islands. However you can certainly follow that path with a boat that would not be considered 'blue water'...

As you can see, nothing's simple....Do lots of reading and research early on, and do join that club and get some experience on the water... you'll find your way I'm sure!

Here's a link to a google search on hull/keel types - should be some worthwhile browsing here:

http://www.google.ca/#sclient=psy-ab...w=1696&bih=847

Last edited by Faster; 12-28-2011 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.