Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2012

VK540 is on a distinguished road
Bought my boat, used, old, but well maintained. Wasn't the boat i wanted but the more I sail it the more i like it. It's a C&C 38. I wanted a Gozzard but would have had to wait too long to make it a reality. The C&C was a right place at the right time deal that I couldn't refuse. Jackdale mentioned boat shows. I went to the Annapolis boat show and went on every boat I could within the class size that I had in mind and compared them as best I could. I had a list of basic priorities I was looking for. Shoal draft, shaft drive, keel type, heavy displacement, maximum storage, and so on. Some boats looked pretty but lacked in the basics. ie, no storage, no hand holds in the cabin, head location, galley location, cockpit size, cockpit drainage, opening ports and so on. It would be wonderful to build your own then you can customize it but there is enough different designs out there with the market the way it that you will probably find something that you want. Yachtworld is a good start but pictures never did much for me. I traveled fair distances to look at boats that looked good in the pictures and were described as pristine condition that were far from being pristine! Just recently a couple were leaving our area to go cruising. They had planned this for some time and joined a cruising club. They left the local marina, crossed the border into the USA to check into customs for the proper visa but misread the buoys entering the USA marina and ran aground. The boat they had fixed up for their worldly adventures had an encapsulated keel that was damaged instantly and caused them to delay their retirement dream for another year while repairs are made. My personal opinion is that the boat they chose was not a good choice for what they intended on using it for. They had done much research on the trip end but perhaps not so much on the boat designed for their trip. My opinion. Do lot's of research and keep asking lots of questions. You will be able to sift through the good and bad advice quickly. Good luck in your decisions and happy sailing!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-01-2012

AlaskaBySail is on a distinguished road
Returning your reply

JUST SO YOU KNOW THE BOAT YOU HAVE LOOKS GOOD IN THE PICTURES. I WILL GO TO MANY MORE BOAT SHOWS TOO TO SEE WHAT EXACTLY I WANT AND DON'T WANT. YOUR RIGHT BY SEEING SO MANY IT CAN GIVE YOU A GOOD IDEA OF LIKES AND DISLIKES. I WANT ONE THAT WILL ALLOW ME TO TRAVEL THE COAST AND TRAVEL TO EUROPE WHEN I FEEL I AM READY TO DO SO. I AGREE WITH THE MANY DIFFERENT OPTIONS TO THINK ABOUT ESPECIALLY WHEN IT IS A HUGE DECISION AND MONEY TO SHELL OUT. YOUR RIGHT ABOUT PICTURES AND PEOPLE NOT BEING HONEST. I FOUND THAT OUT WHEN I WAS IN MONTANA FOR 30 DAYS IN 2000 WHEN I BOUGHT MY HOUSE THERE. PEOPLE WILL LIE RIGHT TO YOUR FACE AND NOT THINK A THING ABOUT IT. I SURE LET THEM KNOW ABOUT IT THO. THE LAST DAY I WAS ON MY WAY HOME AND CAME ACROSS THIS HOUSE IN THE MIDDLE OF NO WHERE AT THE BEST FANTASTIC PRICE AND UNBLEIVABLE. I BOUGHT IT WITH HESITATION AND I KNOW IF I FIND THE BOAT I WANT THAT IS HOW IT WILL HAPPEN TO.WOW SOUNDS LIKE THE COUPLE HAD A FIXED KEEL AND WASN'T PAYING ATTENTION TO THE DEPTH HUH. SAD TO HEAR. I DON'T WANT TO MAKE A MISTAKE LIKE THAT FOR SURE. I AM A CAREFUL PERSON AND CONSIDERING ALOT WITH THIS UNDERSTAKING. PLANNING ON DOING ALOT OF LITTLE TRAVELLING WITH ONE BEFORE I EVER DO ANY BIG DISTANCE TRAVELLING. i WANT A CABLE OPERATED SWING KEEL IF POSSIBLE AND A HEAVY STABLE BOAT THAT WON'T BE HEELED ALL THE TIME i DO PLAN ON LOTS OF RESEARCH FOR SURE i LOOK EVERYDAY FOR SOMETHING NEW. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME GREATLY APPRECIATED
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook