Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2012

Hawaiigirl is on a distinguished road
I am SO new....

Hello...My husband's dream was to buy a boat and I am not one to kill a person's dreams so I am tagging along...ha ha...I went with him to pick up his boat and we motored down the Intercoastal Waterway...it was fun until we went aground...ha ha! I am learning NEW words every day...I hope to come here to learn as much as I can so I won't be a pain in the ass...I didn't even whine much...not even when I felt sea sick...I just kept telling myself...do NOT be a wimp....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2012

leogallant is on a distinguished road
Haha, nice! We ran aground our second day with ours, and also on the intracoastal! That make you guys better sailors than us to accomplish that on your first day! Lol. Welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steve's Ubiquitous Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-02-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey Hawaii - welcome to SN. And cheers to refusing to be a pain in the ass.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-02-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough
You have learned from one mistake - that is good. One of my favourite quotes is from Bill Gates "Success teaches nothing."

One way to avoid mistakes is to learn from others. Scout out some instructors. I tell instructor-wannabes that they have to have made a lot mistakes before they can impart their experience to others.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 01-03-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Every ICW boater we know either admits to having run aground, or lies about having never run aground, so welcome!

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 01-03-2012
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I'm one of few who can find a five foot shallow in a thirty foot channel, fagedaboutit...

Old 01-03-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
hg, now you can swear AS a sailor, not just like one. Anyone can use the FCC's "seven dirty words" but there's a true art to swearing without redundancy, or those seven words.

Seasickness is something that some of us are cursed with and from personal experience I would urge you to be open about it, and to take a good look at your options while on land. That is, get several diffferent meds and try them out, one per weekend, while you are in the comfort of home ashore. You'll find some disagree with you, others don't, how effective they are at sea is of course something else again. The electric wristband can be very effective if it is positioned exactly right. And the prescription meds (like Scopace) are serious meds not to be taken lightly--but also invaluable when lesser things don't work.

If it is done properly or done well, a day in a boat should be a good day. If you find yourself wet, cold, hungry, bored...speak up and change things, sailing SHOULD be better than that! Warm dry clothes, good meals, all these things count.
jackdale likes this.
Old 01-03-2012

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
H,

I'm a MythBusters fan. They did a whole special on motion sickness. Their conclusion is that the only thing that truly works is ginger root. It worked perfectly even for the red headed kid who gets puking sick just thinking about moving. A ginger root tablet and he could ride "the chair" for 15 minutes with no issues. Without it, 15 seconds and he's sharing his lunch with the camera. Ginger root capsules $3 at Walmart.
Old 01-03-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
So they "discovered" what NASA researched and documented 30 or 40 years ago, wow.

FWIW, no matter what they discovered ginger is not a cure-all for motion sickness. It works to some extent for some people and the mechanics of how it works (by increasing capillary blood flow) also explain why it has limited usefulness.

NASA has had extreme problems and a great amount of experience with motion sickness. The barf bags don't have mission-specific logos printed on them though, that's not the kind of PR they want.
Old 01-03-2012

leogallant is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
I'm one of few who can find a five foot shallow in a thirty foot channel, fagedaboutit...
Sometimes we sail, sometimes we Braille :-)

Steve's Ubiquitous Blog