SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Escape Rumba Help (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/82455-escape-rumba-help.html)

KnotRight 01-06-2012 01:23 PM

Escape Rumba Help

Hey All; Iím just decided to learn to sail and picked up a Escape Rumba but itís short a dagger board and the rudder assembly. I figure I can build a dagger board from pictures off the internet but the rudder might be a little harder to reproduce. Just looking to have a little fun off the coast of NC. Thanks for any help

svHyLyte 01-06-2012 02:32 PM

We have a Rumba that I bought for my daughter (named "Rumb-baba") and have the rudder in our garage. The rudder blade is made from solid spruce (plywood will not work). I will be happy to temp-plate it for you if you like. The trick will be to come up with the rudder-head fitting with the retractable pins to allow you to mount/dismount the rudder. Doug Fisher of Ullman Sails in Sarasota, Fla (941) 951-0189 used to sell the boats and may have a source for replacement parts. Let me know if you're interested.

KnotRight 01-06-2012 04:18 PM

That would be great svHyLyte, would it be too much to ask to temp-plate the dagger board also. I would gladly pay you for your troubles. Thanks again Danny

CalebD 01-06-2012 04:55 PM

You might be able to buy those parts too: Escape Sailboat Parts
or even here: APS - Sunfish - Rudder, Tiller and Daggerboard
Probably more fun to make your own though.

svHyLyte 01-06-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnotRight (Post 813991)
That would be great svHyLyte, would it be too much to ask to temp-plate the dagger board also. I would gladly pay you for your troubles. Thanks again Danny

Danny,

I will PM you with my email address so you can respond with your mailing address so I can send you the pattern. The Rumba does not use a dagger board. It has a center board that rotates on a nylon pin that bolts across the centerboard trunk so that the board can be rotated up and down. A shock-cord runs from a hole in the crown of the center board through a jamb cleat so that one can adjust the board's position depending upon one's point of sail. Off the wind we rotate the board up almost entirely and she'll go like heck. Unfortunately, however, we laid the boat up for the winter once the water temperatures dropped below 75 and getting her out, off the trailer, and unbolting the centerboard at this point would be a costly and difficult endeavor. I'll be happy to do so in the spring, however. There is some possibility that my neighbor may not yet have stowed his boat (I bought two from a hotel that decided they didn't want to rent them to guests any longer due to insurance costs; rehabbed both, and sold one to a neighbor for enough to cover the out-of-pocket costs for both boats so ours cost my labor alone). If so I will see if he's willing to allow me to dismount his center board long enough to pattern the board. If you do not have it, the pin will be an issue but I suspect you could conjure one up by using a piece of plastic pipe with a matching diameter dowel through the center; or, by getting a local cabinet maker to turn down a small block of starboard on a lathe.

They are fun boats but not so easy to sail as Escape portrayed. One thing to do is buy some foam pipe insulation or a pool noodle that will fit the boom and "pad" that back half unless you're willing to wear a helmet while you're sailing. You will brain yourself with the boom sooner or later and it will hurt without one or the other, I guaranty you that. Another thing is to dump the single line outhaul/furling line. I found that having two separate lines, one red for furling and a second, green, for out hauling the sail worked a lot better and one had no doubt which line one was hauling on. There are times when one does need to reef the sail and the two line arrangement seems to work best.

N'any case, check your PM's.

Propertydoctor 01-06-2012 10:31 PM

Escape Rumba parts source

Hi Guys!

As far as I know, the only supplier of Escape boat parts is George at Mountain Road Trading Post Home 603.895.3501. He is a super nice guy.

I do know that George has a source for the rudders and centerboards for the Rumba. He probably has a source for the rudder head and tillers too, if not, I was looking at my sunfish rudder head and believe it to be a functional match to the Rumba's. Unless the cost of the parts is prohibitive for you, or you just want a woodworking project, I would buy the proven parts and go sailing. I have an extensive background in boat building and fabrication and could easily carve these up but my time is too valuable. Why spend 3-4 hours cutting, sanding and finishing? I'd rather be on the water :)

I also have a PDF of the Rumba manual if you need it. Send me an email and I'll forward it to you.

KnotRight 01-07-2012 10:48 PM

Thanks Propertydoctor; the manual would be nice to have. I have not been online long enough to send e-mails yet so I hope you'll get this. As it work out the boat came with all the hardware for the rudder just no blade nor anything with the centerboard. I did send a e-mail to MRT but will give them a call next week and ask about the centerboard. The bad news is the upper part of the mast is at the bottom of Kerr Lake in NC so thats my next challenge.Any suggestions would be welcome. svHyLte was kind enough to help with the rudder temp-plate so I think I'm on the way Thanks for your help Danny

Propertydoctor 01-08-2012 12:05 AM

Because I am new to Sailnet and don't have 15 posts yet I can't private message anyone and because I don't have 20 posts I can't email anyone. KnotRight or anyone else that needs the Escape Rumba manual can email me direct at RFLucas64 @ gmail(dot)com and please put "Rumba Manual" in the subject line so your message doesn't end up in my trash folder.

Happy sailing!
- Propertydoctor

svHyLyte 01-08-2012 11:42 AM

Danny--Since I haven't rec'd anything from you I assume you cannot yet receive PM's. You can send your home address to me at svHyLyte(at)hotmail.com and I will forward a paper pattern for the rudder to you via USPS.

svHyLyte 01-08-2012 09:05 PM

Danny--I got your email to our ship's account and made up a pattern of the rudder earlier today. I will send that off to you together with some notes and photos tomorrow. No joy on the center-board thus far but be patient. Sailing season is some while yet.