Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you. NEW!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012

VK540 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2this View Post
no I have not looked at it. how big an engine would I need?

The small size appeals to me because I imagine it would be easy to sail..

can one person easily operate a 25 foot vessel? how about 30?
I have no problem single handing my 38 foot. Just depends on how the boat is set up.
Hull #92
Sailing the North Channel of Lake Huron
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
Some years ago, my brother's first boat was a 22' Santana. if I recall, he had a 3 HP motor on it and it did fine. I'm sure some here will tell you to have at least 5.
As far as the size of a boat goes, I could single hand my 34. it all depends on how it is equipped. Some will say larger boats are easier to handle than small ones, but you do need to learn how to sail first.
My first boat was a 30' Catalina and I had very little sailing experience before buying it.
Old 01-23-2012

deow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2this View Post
The small size appeals to me because I imagine it would be easy to sail..

can one person easily operate a 25 foot vessel? how about 30?
Some other considerations: how tall are you? You won't get headroom on a small boat. Or a head. Or a galley. You have to decide what you can live with.

I'm only researching possiblities myself, but I think that one can single-hand a 30' to 40' boat well enough if it's rigged for it.
Old 01-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by deow View Post
Some other considerations: how tall are you? You won't get headroom on a small boat. Or a head. Or a galley. You have to decide what you can live with.
Or rather, what can you live without. A 21 footer won't offer much as far as amenities go. Again, it won't be much different than camping.

My 30' Catalina was a nice boat, but my 34' Catalina offers a lot more. A gas stove/oven as opposed to an alcohol stove. A refrigerated ice box. A water heater. More battery power. More fresh water storage.
And actually, my 34' is much better equipped to single hand than my 30' was. Of course it is a newer model and came from the factory with more options than the 30 did.
Old 01-23-2012

New2this is on a distinguished road
I will look at it tomorrow, to get a sense of the size. I understand it will not be luxurious, im not too concerned about it. Im a young guy in college, I can rough it at this juncture in my life.

How far could this boat safely travel away from shore? Is it just a matter of proper navigation and watching the weather?

I may very well get a little bit larger boat, based on what you guys are saying. I do appreciate the input!
Old 01-23-2012

That's not an offshore boat. If it were mine, it would never leave the sight of land.
Not to say it's not a decent boat, in fact, it may serve you well for a year or two while you get your sailing legs. But I sure as heck would not plan on sailing the Caribbean in it.
For that, you need a boat set up for long distance, open water cruising and the size of the boat is only one consideration.
Old 01-24-2012

Something to think about. the Santana 21 has a 550 lbs. swing keel. that's great to have if you are trailering your boat a lot or sailing in some real skinny water. Not so great when a strong gust of wind hits you unexpectedly and knocks the boat over.
The Santana 22 my brother used to have has a 1200 lbs. fixed keel. That keel will greatly lower the center of gravity on the boat and make it much less susceptible to a knock over.
That's just one reason the 21 is really made to be used in protected waters, not the open sea.
Old 01-25-2012

So New, we're anxious to hear about the boat. Is it doable? Inquiring minds want to know. Details...we want details.
Old 01-25-2012

Lflowers230 is on a distinguished road
I consider my sailing experince level as to be a newbie. I have only sailed Lasers and Hobie 16's and that was ten years ago. So whatever I say can be taken with a grain of salt or an honest analysis.

I am currently waiting to buy my first sailboat too but I'm quite concerned on what I can do with a 24 foot sloop. When learning to sail back at the age of 27, and that being on a Laser, I almost said "the hell with it". I was being taught by people that had a lifetime of experience of sailing and cruising but the sharks and the current that swept through the atoll and the sheer sensitivity of that little boat almost got the best of me. The required us to learn on the laser before we were allowed to get the hobie. As far as I was concerned the hobie was like flying a kite and the laser was like jumping in to a rocket ship without any flight training. Anyways, I eventually got the hang of it and miss sailing those little rocket ships. I was told by those that taught me that if I could sail a laser I could sail anything. We'll see, as I often wonder if learning to sail a laser is as hard for everyone as it was for me. My point being, it's one thing to camp on a small boat at the dock, but sailing in in the ocean is a whole nother ballgame. Not that it can't be done though.

The boat that I am purchasing tomorrow is a 24ft S2 sloop. Now, I will be mostly contained to an inland lake but I know myself and know that I will do everything I can to broaden my sailing area. At 24 ft. I think for me would be about the smallest I could stand. Being alone would leave plenty of room for supplies and a little comfort but I have a wife so sailing alone isn't an option for me. We could probably handle some gulf coast cruising but that'd be our limit. But that's just us and what I think my experience could handle.

The bottom line is learn to sail first. You will find that the experience will put things in to perspective. That being what you can do, won't do, or shouldn't do. You will also find that the ocean or large expanses of water can be quite daunting. I've been out in the Pacific on "nice" days that had 30 foot swells. Yeah, it was kinda fun but I wasn't out their alone. We were on a fishing boat with the land in sight but I decided then ad there that it was not something to take lightly.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 01-25-2012

New2this is on a distinguished road
I have had some experience with high seas, always on powerboats granted, but I know enough not to mess with mother nature. I would never attempt something that was outside of my ability. I have been watching some videos on sailing, I think I understand the basic principles. Its sort of becomes intuitive once you get the hang of it?

looked at the Santana, was just too small, I could not even sit up inside it

im going to look at this next classic sailboat 28"

where is the best place to find a used boat? someoene mentioned yachtworld..

I will keep you guys posted, I am definitely doing this though, and soon