Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012

Lflowers230 is on a distinguished road
Try these:

27' Catalina sailboat

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/boa/2798883723.html

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/boa/2803090596.html

Last edited by Lflowers230; 01-25-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-25-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
Yes,
yachtworld.com
boattraderonline.com
sailboatlistings.com
continue to look on craigslist.

As I said earlier, I don't think you want anything less than 25-26' and closer to 30 would be better.

What is your budget? I'm guessing, not too big which means whatever you find is not going to be a open water boat. Coastal and protected waters only, which isn't bad as you get to live aboard and learn to sail.
Old 01-25-2012

New2this,
I sent you an email.
Old 01-25-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
new2,
Look around for your local "power squadron" boating safety class. May not be until spring at this point, but in order to operate a motor vessel in Florida you will need a boating safety certificate, and that's about $45 for a Saturday course. It will be taught by local boaters (sailors, not just power boaters) and give you a good fast education--and an introduction to local folks who can probably take you out on the water and answer your questions.
Many states are requiring the same certification these days, and the one you get will be good for all of them.

As to boat size, engines...boy is that a wider topic. :-)
Old 01-25-2012

New2this is on a distinguished road
My budget is about 5000, give or take.

Chuck after reading your email, and looking at how small the 21 was inside, I think im gonna go for a 30'+

I was trying to get one within the week, so as to avoid paying another months rent where I am staying, but I can see I need to slow things down and make an informed decision. Im going to look into a sailing class as well.
DRFerron and VK540 like this.
Old 01-25-2012

OK, a 30 footer will be doable on $5000, but most likely it's going to be pretty old and in rough shape. Take a look at some Catalina 27's. Even dropping down to a C-27, it's going to be hard to find anything halfway decent on $5000.
I think you will be pleasanty surprised as to how much room a C-27 has - Way, way more room than the 21 you looked at. Full standing room and a compleately enclosed head, probably with a shower. Enough room that you can have 2-3 people comfortably spend a few days with you.
Yes, take your time, look at a number of boats, take pictures and note the plusses and minuses of each.

As far as classes go, as mentioned, you will most likely need, at least, a boating safety class. After that, both the US Power - Sail Squadron and the Coast Guard Aux. offer seamanship classes and more advanced boating classes. Yes, a hand's on sailing class will be good, but it's going to take a big bite out of your budget..

When you do find a boat that looks like the one to buy, make sure you find a good, marine surveyor to do a full survey on the boat. A survey is going to run you anywhere from $15-25 per foot depending on the skill and experience of the surveyor. Part of the survey will have the boat hauled to check out the bottom of the boat. That's going to cost you another couple hundred dollars. If you think you can pass on the survey, don't. Surveyors often find problems that could cost big bucks to fix. Also, if you plan on insuring the boat, no insurance company will touch it without a survey report.

When you find a boat that looks interesting, don't hesitate to post it here and let other members give you their 5 cents opinion on them.
A few months ago, another newbie came on here looking for advice to buy a boat to liveaboard and do some traveling just like you. We exchanged a number of posts and emails and ended up, I actually found the boat that he ended up buying. The guy is happy as a clam.

You say you don't want to live at a marina, but instead, want to anchor or hang onto a moring ball. If you do that, have you looked into getting some kind of a dinghy to get to and from shore with?
Old 01-25-2012

New2this is on a distinguished road
I looked at a 28 foot today. It was MUCH bigger than the 21, I could definitely see myself living on it. The guy was not willing to come down enough on the price, but it gave me a better idea of the size aspect

And yes I do want to stay out on the water, so as far as a dinghy gos. What would be ideal? A zodiac that I can wench out of the water? Is there a way, if I was to buy a decent outboard motor, that I could use it on both the dinghy AND the large boat?

I will not forgo the survey, I dont know anything about the structural integrity of a boat, its not something I want to worry about on a stormy night at sea. I highly doubt I will get insurance however
Old 01-25-2012

A couple of things, when you get into larger boats, most of them will come with inboards, which is the way to go. You will still see a few with the old Atomic 4 gas engine, but most will be diesel. Even if you find a boat with an outboard, you will soon find switching the motor from one boat to another will be a major PIA. We have a close friend you used to have a 26' with an outboard. He hated it and is very glad to now have an inboard.

I'd rethink your feelings on insurance. Not a good idea to forgo that.
Old 01-26-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2this View Post
Is there a way, if I was to buy a decent outboard motor, that I could use it on both the dinghy AND the large boat?
An outboard for a sailboat would ideally have a long shaft, too long for use on a dinghy. If you try to use a short shaft outboard on most sailboats, your prop will be out of the water more than in, especially in chop. Our first boat had a short shaft and after replacing it with a long shaft I wondered how we put up with the other for so long.
chuck53 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.