Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012

Mattmm is on a distinguished road
Powercruiser about to convert

Hello all. I've been boating for a couple years now. I currently own a bayliner saratoga 2550 command bridge. I rebuilt her completely, structurally and cosmetically from the ground up. She is about a year and 5k away from being what i can call complete or sellable. I have friended a few sailors last summer and i thought i had caught the bug. After this years visit to the boat show I'm convinced its nearing the time to take up sailing.
For now I'd like to learn as much as i can about sailing so that im not caught offguard when i make the inevitable purchase. It will be around 40' possibly a ketch. feel free to talk me down. it wouldnt be the first time id be called nuts for starting with something so big.

Thanks to everyone for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
Kool! We need more sail out there! Where you sailing from? I've always wanted a 40 Cal flattop settled for a 28, But; Who really knows....Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 02-04-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Meanwhile you might get some sailing experience in in small boats - join a sailing club or buy a Laser or small dingy, and sail and sail. You r learning experiences will be far dimplier and less expensive or dangerous, than the same experience would be on a 40 footer.
Old 02-08-2012

I live in oshawa ontario, canada. likely be sailing out of whitby my powerboat is on lake scugog. the average depth of that lake is 6 ft i have been looking at maybe picking something like a laser, theres also a sailing club at beacon marina with lessons.
Old 02-08-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Hi, I belong to Whitby YC, good spot to join if you are interested. The yacht club also offers learn to sail courses for adults on Tanzer 22s. If you call them they can send you info.

I think getting something little and cheap makes a lot of sense to learn on. Not sure a Laser is it since they are not the easiest beginner boats. Some questions - would you be sailing by yourself or with crew. How big and fit are you - I seem to remember that ideal weight for a Laser is 165ish and you are doing a lot of hiking. My son raced a Laser but had to switch to a Laser Radial (same boat but with a different upper mast) since he was not heavy enough. He was about 6'1" and 130 lbs soaking wet.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 02-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Hi, I belong to Whitby YC, good spot to join if you are interested. The yacht club also offers learn to sail courses for adults on Tanzer 22s. If you call them they can send you info.

I think getting something little and cheap makes a lot of sense to learn on. Not sure a Laser is it since they are not the easiest beginner boats. Some questions - would you be sailing by yourself or with crew. How big and fit are you - I seem to remember that ideal weight for a Laser is 165ish and you are doing a lot of hiking. My son raced a Laser but had to switch to a Laser Radial (same boat but with a different upper mast) since he was not heavy enough. He was about 6'1" and 130 lbs soaking wet.
ill likely give them a call this summer. i have been looking at the smaller cheaper boats and the prices are hard to resist like getting into weekend sailing wiht nothing but pocket change. however im hoping my next boat is one i want to keep for a long time and not something that is just a step up to the next boat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.