Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012

copacetic is on a distinguished road
Hoping to be sailing by summer...

Hello all. I've been lurking around on and off for some time now gathering info and insight into sailing. I hope to buy a boat and start learning to sail by early summer. I've been looking online and have looked at several boats in person to get an idea of what I want. I'm leaning toward a 22 footer possibly up to 25. She has to be a trailer sailer preferably with a small galley. I've taken the advice of many on this board to include my wife in the decision making and what makes her feel comfortable....especially since I don't want to sail alone. I look forward to getting to know everyone.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
So where do you intend to sail? Got any experence or just starting out?......Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 02-04-2012

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
Copacetic,

I'll give the same advice that I've given a number of times on this forum and on another that I frequent. I am the trailer sailor advocate, due to cost and shallow pockets in a tight economy.

A couple of things to look out for when you're considering boats:

Head room - many smaller boats require you to stoop or crouch in the salon
Head room - Many smaller boats have a porta-potti set in the middle of the salon. Too public for me
Old 02-04-2012

Wow, that was weird . . . allow me to continue

Draft - swing keel/center board/shoal keel - depending on the configuration you can get into shallower waters or not

Sails - be sure that all the sails are there and in good condition. A genoa is nice
Roller furler - a very nice to have item and they are trailerable.
Rigging - check the cables to rule out rot and corrosion
Decks - walk the decks and feel for soft spots - especially around hardware and hatches
Sounder - very nice to have if it's there

If I may be so bold, pick up a copy of The Complete Trailer Sailor by Brian Gilbert or something akin to it. Gilbert packs the book with great information about trailer sailing. It was recommended to my by a childhood friend, James L Nelson (for those who might know his books, it's a shameless name drop to gain credibility). Gilbert includes 50 or so small sailboats and pocket cruisers in the back. He provides drawings, photos, specs, deck plans, pros and cons for boats from 16' to 28'. It's a great resource.

If I can offer real advise, go as big as you can afford. A 25 footer seems huge for the first night. Out Lancer 25 will sleep 5, as long as a couple of you are thin and cozy. But we are normally the little guy at most anchorages. Once while finishing off my last meatball out of the pan that I cooked on a Coleman stove in the cockpit, this fellow on a 50 footer circumnavigated me looking for depth. I greeted him and he responded in kind> I don't think his teether ever parted. I'm pretty sure his chef was down bellow yelling at the wait staff. Yep . . . humbling.

Anyway, I am rambling! Welcome to the asylum. If I can be of further (or any) assistance, drop me a PM.

Fair Winds,

Don
Biddeford, ME
Old 02-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor View Post
So where do you intend to sail? Got any experence or just starting out?......Dale
Just starting out. Been a power boater all my life. Looking to relax a little. We live about an hour from Lake Sinclair in Middle Ga so that's where I hope to learn. One of my daughters friends parents got into it several years ago and are a member of a club there so hopefully I'll be able to get some tutoring.
Old 02-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonScribner View Post
Wow, that was weird . . . allow me to continue

Draft - swing keel/center board/shoal keel - depending on the configuration you can get into shallower waters or not

Sails - be sure that all the sails are there and in good condition. A genoa is nice
Roller furler - a very nice to have item and they are trailerable.
Rigging - check the cables to rule out rot and corrosion
Decks - walk the decks and feel for soft spots - especially around hardware and hatches
Sounder - very nice to have if it's there

If I may be so bold, pick up a copy of The Complete Trailer Sailor by Brian Gilbert or something akin to it. Gilbert packs the book with great information about trailer sailing. It was recommended to my by a childhood friend, James L Nelson (for those who might know his books, it's a shameless name drop to gain credibility). Gilbert includes 50 or so small sailboats and pocket cruisers in the back. He provides drawings, photos, specs, deck plans, pros and cons for boats from 16' to 28'. It's a great resource.

If I can offer real advise, go as big as you can afford. A 25 footer seems huge for the first night. Out Lancer 25 will sleep 5, as long as a couple of you are thin and cozy. But we are normally the little guy at most anchorages. Once while finishing off my last meatball out of the pan that I cooked on a Coleman stove in the cockpit, this fellow on a 50 footer circumnavigated me looking for depth. I greeted him and he responded in kind> I don't think his teether ever parted. I'm pretty sure his chef was down bellow yelling at the wait staff. Yep . . . humbling.

Anyway, I am rambling! Welcome to the asylum. If I can be of further (or any) assistance, drop me a PM.

Fair Winds,

Don
Biddeford, ME
Hey Don thanks for the welcome as well. That's pretty much my thinking about going as big as one can afford. I think anything larger than a 25 would be more of a chore come launch time. A galley is a must as is a porta potty or marine head. I'm not too fond of being in the open come throne time either. LOL.
There will be 4 of us most of the time...2 adults, 1 teen, and one that thinks shes a teen. We camp alot though so tight quarters is something we can deal with.
As far as the keel is concerned I'm leaning towards a swing although we looked at a twin keel today that needs sails and cosmetics. The hull is dry and seems sound from what I could tell. Any knowledge on twin keels? I posted a pic in the Boat Review Purchase section. Hope that's where it belongs
Thanks for the info...think I'll be reading some books.
Old 02-04-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
I got my boat from Ga. so I can relate to the area,you have a lot of good sailing there. Good luck!..Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 02-05-2012

The twin keel is probably a Westerly Centaur. Stout built boats from England. The boat can stand on the keels like helicopter landing skids. That means no special trailer and don't worry about a draining tide. I don't know how they sail though. If you can, make sure that the boat is seaworthy with all the parts. Sails are expensive, probably as much as the boat.

Teens huh? My youngest was 16 when we began the sailing thing. We bought the boat as a father-son thing. There was a good article in Sail Mag about sailing with that ilk. Lots of games, stops and alone time.

Post some pics when you get close. I know we'd all love to see your new obsession.

Fair winds and fairer deals,

Don
Old 02-05-2012

Hey Don this is the one of interest. Would really like to know who makes it just so I know the history of it among other things like interior options. Heres a pic I posted on another thread.

Old 02-06-2012

The two-tiered deck makes it look like a Centaur but I can't find one with a single portlight on the side like that. Doesn't mean anything because my Lancer 25 came with several different portlight options over the 20 year history of the company. I found this place that has a little bit of info on it. There might be more?

Westerly Centaur