Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
Never too late for introductions!

It occurred to me while I was posting in another thread that I never posted an introduction. So, even if a little tardy, here it goes...

My introduction to sailing came back in the late '80's while in the Navy when a friend asked me to go sailing with him. I accepted and we went out in San Diego bay on a Catalina 27. I had always enjoyed being in and on the water and I was hooked the moment he killed the outboard and the boat heeled with only the wind and waves to be heard. I absolutely loved it!

Over the next couple of years, we rented boats from recreation centers at different bases. We lost a rudder on the very same Catalina I learn on. We did a night cruise around Alcatraz Island, enjoyed the sights of Subic Bay in the Phillipines, and even tried to rent a boat in Perth Australia but there was none available because of the Americas Cup races going on. Those were good times!

I bought my first boat, an Endeavour 32, in 2009. She had her share of minor problems but She was mine and I loved her. I spent every weekend I could out on Kentucky lake. She taught me alot about how much I really love being on the water, about patience, the joys and frustrations of actually owning a boat, how things can break unexpectedly and usually at the worst possible time, and docking under sail.

I spent many weekends aboard her on the hook and even lived on her during the weeks that I worked close to the marina. I work in the construction industry building bridges and I got lucky with the location of that jobsite. The economy forced me to sell her since I have a mortgage also and couldn't afford two payments but I still retain the desire to live aboard my own boat again.

I'm currently saving what I can, am working on selling the house, and fully intend on buying another boat. My plan is to pay off my debt completely, buy the boat for cash, fix her up, move back to the sea, and complete my learning curve to the point I can safely start cruising on my own. It will all take a while and I'm hoping to make some offshore passages as crew with an experienced captain willing to share their knowledge, but in the end, I WILL achieve my dream.

So there you have it. The pertinent details of me and my dream. Since I've already spoken to many of you through posts it seems a little late to say "how do you do" so I'll just say "howdy". To those of you I haven't yet had the priviledge of speaking to, I look forward to meeting you.

Take care all.

Last edited by Dean101; 02-04-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Dean101 - please read the "SN Rules of Proper Posting Behavior". You'll notice therein that it is improper to post in the introduction thread if you've been a member for more than 9 mothns. You are now 4 days over that limit.

I'm sorry to inform you that you will now be banned.

Heh-heh. Just jokin' dude.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-04-2012
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Dean101 - please read the "SN Rules of Proper Posting Behavior". You'll notice therein that it is improper to post in the introduction thread if you've been a member for more than 9 mothns. You are now 4 days over that limit.

I'm sorry to inform you that you will now be banned.

Heh-heh. Just jokin' dude.
You're cracking me up! Don't make me spill my beer!