SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hello, from beautiful British Columbia!

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Bill-Rangatira 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, everybody. My name is Xavier ("X" is fine) and I wanted to introduce myself. I'm just south of Vancouver, in British Columbia and my soon-to-be home port will be the Captains Cove Marina in Delta, BC. I couldn't help but notice that there seem to be a fair number of hardcore sailors on the boards, of whom I am not one. I did most of my sailing from age 8 to 20, having started on my very own Sabot, moving on to a Penguin (did I ever flip a lot of those over!), then on to racing the 110 class (so loved hanging out on the trapeze) while serving as crew on a 46' ketch..... all that out of the Manila Yacht Club in the Philippines, and all that before life got in the way.

Now, over 30 years later, I have just purchased an older 27- footer, and am eager to get out there. I've named her Mystic, and although she isn't fancy, I know she'll do just fine at helping me re-learn the ropes. Since taking ownership a couple of weeks ago, and having spent intimate time with her getting her spruced up and ready to sail, I have once again begun to feel those same emotions that I felt back in the latter half of the 60's, following the adventures of Robin Lee Graham on Dove & Dove ll (thanks to the National Geographic Magazine).

Well, nice to be on board here, and look forward to being a part of the community.

Fair winds to all!

X

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks for the warm wecome, Capt'n Tom. Just holler when you set sail this way... I'll throw the beer in the cooler!

#10 ·
@tundrasailor - Thanks for the welcome and ditto! Must be beautiful up there. There's got to be a reason for Alaska being a popular cruise-ship destination.

#15 ·
BTW, I had the pleasure of meeting Faster, who came out to see my little boat today. If everyone on Sailnet is as nice as he, this is a great forum to belong to!

#16 ·
Hi Steve, I passed Campbell River many times in early seventies on the way to Port Hardy and out to fish. Truly Gods country, but I don't do cold anymore. Great video .. one of the first fish farms in BC was on our property on saltspring island .. Great success to You .. WOW! ... Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.