SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hi from South Africa

660 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  WanderingStar 
#1 ·
Hi guys. I have been browsing round your forum as a guest and decided to join. I farm near Cape Town and have been into boats my whole life. mainly powerboats with dingy and Hobie Cat sailing when the wind messed with the water skiing. Decided to start sailing more regularly and bought a Soling. This is a 1969 Tyler and was the first Soling to come to South Africa hence the sailnumber SA1. The boat needs some work but is a lot of fun to sail. I will be taking her off the water this winter and start refurbishing. I intend modernizing the deck layout and smartening the boat up. Solings are rare here and I have the only one at our yachtclub. My club is at Hermanus which is a little seaside town on the Atlantic about 100 miles from Cape Town. We sail on lagoon. I use it for fun sailing with my kids and race will race it in keelboat races. Probably wont come anywhere close to the podium because of its rating but sice the competition is mainly 23 foot Van der Stadt trailer sailers line honours should be less difficult.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.