Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2012

Daily Alice is on a distinguished road
West towards the East

I'm going backwards in more than one way, as I posted in the fin v. full keel thread (post 291)minutes ago. Basically, I an slowly sorting through the variables involved in purchasing a good old boat, for a passage from Hawaii (or possibly the NA West Coast via Hawaii) to Kyushu, Japan, where I live.

My budget is up to around $25K for the boat -- I was thinking I could find something in the range of 30'-34', with 31'-33' being nice.

The used boat market is quite limited here in Japan (especially in my area), with few foreign boats represented -- and these are very pricey. If a Yamaha were suitable, it would be the Y-31C (not exported to NA). Here is a picture of a Yamaha 31C keel (+ detached rudder). LWL: 8.7m(28'7"), Beam 3.37m(11'), Displacement: 3,350Kg(7370 lbs), Ballast 1,200Kg(2640 lbs).

Any thoughts on possibilities for use for a a couple of weeks at a time offshore? I was thinking: not a good idea.

My sailing experience is that I grew up racing lasers (not seriously) and crewing on larger boats, occasionally, in the summer (L.I.S.). I presently crew on a 37' Jeanneau Sun Odyssey, mostly coastal sailing in the Japan Sea.

So, I am considering a more substantial voyage, which would involve sailing from Hawaii, or the West Coast, to Japan -- this idea has an appeal larger than just boat delivery. The Honolulu market being quite limited, I am considering also California for a possible purchase (I used to live in LA, have a friend in San Diego, etc.).

Any thoughts or advice you have would be very helpful, thank you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2012

Re: West towards the East

Ah, it's lonely at the bottom . . .
Old 04-20-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road

I'm sure there are people here who can answer parts of your questions. (I can't) Just try in the boat review section about the design (I'm not familiar with it). Not everyone reads every subforum, keep at it. Try posting in the cruising section too. I've been to sea, but on a heavy ketch. I bought a boat after a long search, but it was in another ocean.
Welcome. Don't give up, you'll find your vessel and your voyage.
Old 04-21-2012

Thanks for the support! Much appreciated.

Will post in the boat review section soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
I'm sure there are people here who can answer parts of your questions. (I can't) Just try in the boat review section about the design (I'm not familiar with it). Not everyone reads every subforum, keep at it. Try posting in the cruising section too. I've been to sea, but on a heavy ketch. I bought a boat after a long search, but it was in another ocean.
Welcome. Don't give up, you'll find your vessel and your voyage.