New to sailing and looking to do some marina liveaboard. HI! :D - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: New to sailing and looking to do some marina liveaboard. HI! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazwell220 View Post
About the survey... I feel like a $400 survey for a $2-3k boat is a bit over-kill... I'm sure it's NOT of course, but for my purposes out the gate it might be... Ive met a couple of very experienced sailors who are willing to give me their opinions before I make an offer. I think that would be sufficient for a boat I may never take out of the Marina.
I paid $2300 for my first boat with trailer. I didn't have a survey done (didn't even know what a survey was at the time) but I did have a knowledgeable sailing friend climb in and let me know if he thought the boat would at least float. I bought it knowing I wanted a project boat. So you're on the right track. BUT, I wasn't intending to use the boat as my primary residence, either. It would really suck if your house sank.

Not saying that you should get a survey, although I'm at the top of the heap waving my flag for doing so, but at least get someone with more than a passing knowledge of boats to look at it.

Next boat: definitely.

Also, while I'm thinking of that old boat. If you find a boat that allows the waste to discharge overboard, you have to get the thru hull either glassed over or have a internal tank installed with a lock on the valve so that there's no way to discharge overboard. Illegal and you can get fined. Even on my 22 footer it had a head (no privacy but a head nonetheless) and I pulled it out completely, glassed the thru hull and bought a porta potty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2012

cazwell220 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cazwell220 Send a message via Skype™ to cazwell220
Good advice... I will def find out what the head situation is. Thank you for the heads up! Pun not intended.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-14-2012

Richard61 is on a distinguished road

There are dreamers and there are do'ers. You sound like a do'er. I am going down the same road but being in a cold water area I will live aboard summers only. Found a little PY26 at a charity auction that I'm reading to launch as soon as the marina opens in a few weeks. Good Luck Richard
Old 04-14-2012

cazwell220 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cazwell220 Send a message via Skype™ to cazwell220
Thanks Richard! Went and looked at the 25' Coronado today. It is a nice boat... she was def sailable ... but I just wasn't feeling it completely. So the search and waiting continues.

Good luck to you too!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-14-2012

Richard61 is on a distinguished road

I know from experance when you see the right boat she will speak to you. I went to a charity yard to look at a Catalina 27 And the PY26 spoke to me. It took anouther 6 weeks to pull the triger but it was the boat that chose me not the other way arround. Good luck with your hunt. Richard, proud owner of my 1979 PY26 "Ruth Ann"
Old 04-14-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

I like this guy.

Caz, when I was between wives, I lived aboard a 35' Chris-Craft Sea Skiff. It floated, mostly, the engines ran, somewhat, the slip was paid for for the first season, and it was cheaper than first and last on an apartment, but still cost almost all the cash I had at the time.
I didn't regret it then, and I don't regret it now.

Dock Six Chronicles: Living Aboard, Philosothinking

The upside to being broke in a marina is that at least you are broke in a nice neighbourhood. Being broke on land means living in a neighbourhood where everybody else is broke too, and that can, and will, kill one's spirit real quick.

Before you go boat shopping, print out the "Inspection Trip Tips" sticky, and don't be afraid to get dirty. Pull the floor boards to see the bilge, pump the head, do a visual on the engine and the transmission dipstick, and poke, prod, and peer into every nook and cranny and part.

Tags
liveaboard sailboat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.