New to sailing and looking to do some marina liveaboard. HI! :D - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012

cazwell220 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cazwell220 Send a message via Skype™ to cazwell220
New to sailing and looking to do some marina liveaboard. HI! :D

Hi everyone... I feel like I know so many of you already from all the obsessive reading I have been doing.

Anyway... I just wanted to introduce myself and mention what I'm doing and why for whoever might care... and maybe even for some that don't

I've never really been one for the "institution" as I'm finding out many people here share the same disdain. I'm a minimalist and find that my living situation is far more than I actually need. I'm currently living in Hermosa Beach next to King Harbor in a big 3 story house with 3 other roommates and getting along fine enough money wise. I started a computer repair company and I'm waiting tables for when money is light. I pay about $950 a month for the convenience of living 1 block away from the beach which I LOVE. I am a big fan of playing some competitive beach volleyball and enjoy the people and beauty of the beach lifestyle. However... I kept feeling like I was paying too much and felt that a financially smarter person would come up with a better plan.

So I started looking into urban camping as a way to save money. It's called urban camping or "stealth parking" typically using a van of some sort. Really it's just illegally parking and living in your vehicle in residential and commercial areas without getting caught. I learned how doable it would be and how you could get off the grid while saving lots of money, but I really wasn't convinced that the connotation was all that comfortable. It felt more like being homeless than stepping closer to freedom and independence.

Ultimately in my search I read an article about someone living in their boat and detailing how it worked for them. They mentioned how they paid $300 / mo to the marina for the slip and a bit more for utilities and maintenance. Needless to say... I was instantly intrigued to the point of researching every possibility ... and in 1 week... here I am... looking for a sailboat! lol

I feel like after a year of paying rent for a nice room 1 block from the beach, in the end... all I will have to show is another rent check I need to make out. Sure there are lots of things I can do in a month, like learn to sail even, but in the end... it's a TON of money that is going to someone else and THEIR personal freedom, not mine. If I buy a boat and live on it in the marina... at the end of a year, not only will I have saved a ton of money, gotten over my fear as a land dweller and shed myself of so many unnecessary things, but I will also have learned to sail... met a whole new community of great people... and I will also own a boat! That and the opportunity for adventure unlike an apartment or room could ever give me.

My plan... is to look at a bunch of old boats that have a good hull, good clean keel bolts, a deck that keeps the living quarters dry and good sails and are cheap. I don't care much about the "electronics" or anything except the important systems. And I certainly don't care about refitting and creating a huge project. My thoughts are... if I get the boat super cheap... live on it for a year... learn a bunch of things... keep it clean and do the basic maintenance... I can sell it for much the same price I buy it for and be well on my way to at least UNDERSTANDING what my dream boat would even be!!

Anyway... TLDR;
I want to save a bunch of money and live simple. I read about living on a boat and thought it would be a good thing to try. Looking for a boat that's in good condition for super cheap that I can sell in a year or so and then buy a better one.

I'm Mark btw... Have a great day!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2012
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Re: New to sailing and looking to do some marina liveaboard. HI! :D

I think you are on the right track, but remember that boats are generally a depreciating asset and require alot of work in upkeep and maintenance. Cheap boats being the worst of those to buy for the main reason that they will require the most work.

You sound like you have the right expectations so go for it.

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 04-12-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Hi Mark.

You have a lot of expectations and I wish you the best of luck. Personally, I'm not sure how living on a boat gives you anything more than the illusion of getting away from the "establishment". You still have to pay taxes, rent (slip or mooring fees), insurance and you end up with a much longer walk to the bathroom. You trade rules of the land for rules of the water. Also, it isn't like you can grow your own food and produce enough electricity to live off the grid.

It sounds like you have the personality to appreciate sailing (sailing - not just living on a boat) but that's not your primary or even secondary reason for buying a sailboat. I hope someday you discover that part of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 04-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Hi Mark.

You have a lot of expectations and I wish you the best of luck. Personally, I'm not sure how living on a boat gives you anything more than the illusion of getting away from the "establishment". You still have to pay taxes, rent (slip or mooring fees), insurance and you end up with a much longer walk to the bathroom. You trade rules of the land for rules of the water. Also, it isn't like you can grow your own food and produce enough electricity to live off the grid.

It sounds like you have the personality to appreciate sailing (sailing - not just living on a boat) but that's not your primary or even secondary reason for buying a sailboat. I hope someday you discover that part of it.
Hiya DRFerron ... Nice to meet you... I appreciate the perspective and reality check. True... my first motivation is to save money. I've looked up insurance and slip fees. They are proving to be much more affordabole than renting my current place. I am also looking forward to learning to sail and I want to cruise eventually. Ill start with going to Catalina.

Ill update as I go... but the goal is to sacrifice a bit now for a better future later!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
Old 04-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLocked66c View Post
I think you are on the right track, but remember that boats are generally a depreciating asset and require alot of work in upkeep and maintenance. Cheap boats being the worst of those to buy for the main reason that they will require the most work.

You sound like you have the right expectations so go for it.
Hiya LandLocked... I am looking for a boat that someone put their heart and soul into and now has no choice but to sell it. I'm looking to put about $2-3k into a purchase and then learn and do the basic maintenance. Even if I have to scrape the boat myself... I plan on learning and saving for a future. I want to retire early ... maybe Ecuador or the Philippines... modest, but happy life is all I'm after.

Have a great day!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
Old 04-12-2012
A mod and her dragon

$2-3K is a little on the low side. Take a look at this thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/genera...able-boat.html

If your goal is cruising you might want to divide your goal into two boats or plan on spending a lot of money fixing up a project boat, more money than you think it will take.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 04-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
$2-3K is a little on the low side. Take a look at this thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/genera...able-boat.html

If your goal is cruising you might want to divide your goal into two boats or plan on spending a lot of money fixing up a project boat, more money than you think it will take.
I'm not trying to fool myself... I have already seen quite a few very decent boats in the $3k range... here is one on CL that is going for $2700
25' Coronado Sailboat- RENOVATED, READY TO SAIL It's got a lot of upgrades... more than I need for certain.

Also... my plan is definitely to upgrade to a bigger boat later on. The first one will be a primarily liveaboard boat at the marina. Small... cheap... easy to maintain type boat. I will learn about sailing and learn about maintenance and repairs and the sailboat lifestyle along with getting to know people in the sailing community. I'm thinking a year... maybe 2 at the most. I'm hoping to get one that can make it to Catalina here and there even if I'm feeling brave

Then I plan on selling the boat for close to what I bought it for... I figure this will be doable since I'm looking to buy a good solid boat for the cheapest amount possible now. So getting my money back from it in a year shouldn't be too hard... even if I do take a couple $100 bath on it... no biggie.

By then I will know more about what I want.. and I will get a bigger boat to do the cruising on... I feel like I might even build a boat!! It sounds so awesome... I saw a catamaran build called Gypsy by Woods... looks amazing!! But that's way way off on the horizon

Either way... I'm PUMPED about this little life experiment... and the possibility it holds for sailing wherever... whenever I want!! I'm sure the reality will hit me in waves as well... but I'm pretty adaptable and will do my best to take it in stride.

Thank you for sharing your feeling and experience with me. I will surely be taking notes the whole way!!
Old 04-12-2012
A mod and her dragon

If us grumpy old farts can't dampen your enthusiasm, you're in a good place.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 04-12-2012
Will work for Boat money

MobiusALilBitTwisted is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazwell220 View Post
I'm not trying to fool myself..
25' Coronado Sailboat- RENOVATED, READY TO SAIL It's got a lot of upgrades... more than I need for certain.
Unless your less then 5' that boat will make you MAD in 2 week as a live aboard.

1985 Venture 25
Fl Gulf Coast

GrahamO
"Möbius,You need another drink. You are starting to make sense".
Old 04-12-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusALilBitTwisted View Post
Unless your less then 5' that boat will make you MAD in 2 week as a live aboard.
I looked at the ad. It said nothing about livaboard amenities. Does it have a head? Shower? Hot water? Refrigerated ice box? Cooking equipment? Since I'm not familiar with the area, maybe it doesn't need any kind of heating or cooling.
Only you can decide what kind of livaboard amenities are a must for you. Once you make that decision, then you can look for boats.

Tags
liveaboard sailboat