Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Introduce Yourself
 Not a Member? 

Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012

DEstevew is on a distinguished road
Want to retire...young.

Greetings from Delaware,

I'm Steve, I'm 27, and I currently stuck in a boring, average, and mundane job which I absolutely disdain. I make a decent living, but nothing I would call extraordinary. While browsing youtube (at work), I came across several videos of people living aboard small to medium sailing vessels. Most of these people were the typical retirees, between 50 -70, but some were in their 30's. This got me thinking that this is something I would absolutely be interested in doing...not when I'm 50 or 60, but now.

So, I have a couple of questions for the wonderful people of this forum.

1. I want to restore a sea worthy vessel myself, I'm thinking about a 30 to 35' boat. I see some as low as $8,000...are these boat usually junk? I've read a survey is the best idea, but I would like to do alot of the work myself, I have a marina within walking distance, and wouldn't plan on leaving for 1 -2 years. your thoughts?

2. I have one huge problem...I don't know the first thing about sailing a boat. I've been reading as much as I can, but I'm a visual leaner. I know there are sailing schools, but I'd like to learn on my own boat. When the time comes, are there people for hire that can show you the basics? Does stuff like that happen?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I look forward to spending many sleepless nights on this forum, soaking up information.

Thanks in Advance,
Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2012
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road
Re: Want to retire...young.

Your number 2 should probably be number 1 on your list of things to do. You should really take a very basic lesson such as ASA101. Get the basics out of the way THEN you can work on handeling your own boat.

Marina is in walking distance, Walk on over and look into the basic lessons.

There are lots of cheap boats out there. Some good and many not so good. Starting out getting a fixer upper will cause you to spend countless hours working on the boat to get it sailing. With that said, you're still likely going to stay in your boring/mundane job getting the money you need to fix/repair all the systems for a long time. For a 30'-35' boat, that can take quite some time.

With the right determination, it might be possible. You're young so take your time. Eventually things will fall into place.

While there are some people who buy a boat and go sailing with little to no experience, it isn't necessarily for everyone.

Get lessons so you at least know what you're supposed to look for when you're out on the water BEFORE you buy a boat.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 04-19-2012
Will work for Boat money

MobiusALilBitTwisted is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEstevew View Post
Greetings from Delaware,

I'm Steve, I'm 27, and I currently stuck in a boring, average, and mundane job which I absolutely disdain. I make a decent living, but nothing I would call extraordinary. While browsing youtube (at work), I came across several videos of people living aboard small to medium sailing vessels. Most of these people were the typical retirees, between 50 -70, but some were in their 30's. This got me thinking that this is something I would absolutely be interested in doing...not when I'm 50 or 60, but now.

So, I have a couple of questions for the wonderful people of this forum.

1. I want to restore a sea worthy vessel myself, I'm thinking about a 30 to 35' boat. I see some as low as $8,000...are these boat usually junk? I've read a survey is the best idea, but I would like to do alot of the work myself, I have a marina within walking distance, and wouldn't plan on leaving for 1 -2 years. your thoughts?

2. I have one huge problem...I don't know the first thing about sailing a boat. I've been reading as much as I can, but I'm a visual leaner. I know there are sailing schools, but I'd like to learn on my own boat. When the time comes, are there people for hire that can show you the basics? Does stuff like that happen

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I look forward to spending many sleepless nights on this forum, soaking up information.

Thanks in Advance,
Steve
Steve for you it looks like your looking for a way out of "boring, average, and mundane job which I absolutely disdain".

I understand that, Quit, go find another Job, one that you like and will make you happy.

1) "I want to restore a sea worthy vessel myself, I'm thinking about a 30 to 35' boat".
No you don't, If you would spend a month reading the post on this Forum you would understand this. NO YOU DON'T

2)"I have one huge problem...I don't know the first thing about sailing a boat"
"When the time comes, are there people for hire that can show you the basics? "
"I know there are sailing schools, but I'd like to learn on my own boat"

Steve take the Class, learn the basics then. then get a TURN KEY sailboat, then you can go Learn on your own boat.

That said, Steve you can do any-damn thing you want it is your live and your money, but If you decide to go out with out the benefit of Knowledge, then you must make sure no one other then yourself will pay the price for your Stupidity, Go Learn Plan Sail Enjoy, and above all be as safe as you can.

1985 Venture 25
Fl Gulf Coast

GrahamO
"Möbius,You need another drink. You are starting to make sense".
Old 04-19-2012

MrIggleman is on a distinguished road

Hey Steve,

27 too and I know the feeling.

I won't comment too much on your first question as I grew up sailing just dinghies and have only now gotten into larger boats so I'm wholly unqualified to answer but if the used boats you're looking at are anything like classic cars you generally want to buy the most expensive one you can afford. Because you'll end up spending that money one way or the other.

As for your second question I've definitely seen sailing schools in Virginia that offer instruction on your own boat. Those lessons are usually a little cheaper than instruction on their boats. I suppose you could also find someone who knows how to sail, but then you have to hope they're good at transferring information.

I went ahead and bought a boat after not sailing for years, which may have been rash but was right for me. However, if you've never sailed before you might want to take a lesson or two before buying your own boat. Or at least spend some time on a friend's sailboat just to make sure it's right for you before spending all that money...
Richard61 likes this.
Old 04-19-2012

Richard61 is on a distinguished road

Go for your dreams. I just had 2 heart attacks last year at 50 and have come to realise that all the things I have been putting off to later might never happen. So I bought a PY26 and am going sailing in the Great lakes. Its never too early (Or late) to live your dreams. Richard Ps I agree with Daniel its better to learn first and buy later but only if Later isn't put off till Never. R
Old 04-19-2012

AdamLein will become famous soon enough

Yes, you can do all the things you suggest, but everybody who warned you against buying a "project" boat are absolutely right... unless you are already skilled in all the things that a project boat requires. There are people who worked in related fields and were able to buy a boat that needed a little work and do it themselves. But if you haven't worked with wood or fiberglass or don't know much about motors, getting a project boat is a mistake. You'll be delaying your dream by years, because you won't be able to learn about sailing in this period.

Your best bet is to get some experience on OPBs. A sailing co-op is the best option since it's very inexpensive and you will be responsible for maintenance, which they will generally teach you. There will be occasional group sailing activities and you get get some sailing experience there, or you can just go take a couple days of lessons.

Your next best bet is to buy a small, inexpensive boat that needs no major maintenance but is otherwise getting old and tired. Ideally a boat that can be pushed by an outboard, which is much more easily replaced than an inboard. Pick something that is minimally fitted out (rig in good condition). In your area you can definitely hire somebody to give you lessons on it. If you want and you can find a marina that will allow it, living on board will save you some money, which can be poured into the boat or saved for your life at sea. Of course, there's no reason not to delay this a couple of years as you build up savings and experience with the first option.

Finally, remember that you have to eat, bathe, etc. while you're living the dream. Where's the money for that going to come from? Is your job the kind you can leave for six months and then pick up again? Can you easily get hired to do a similar job in a different location? If so, you're probably good to go. If not, then when your savings run out you will quickly start regretting the decision.

I'm in a very similar place as you, just a little further down the road. Four years ago I took some lessons and got a cheap boat (in that order). Figuring out where the money's going to come from, not just tomorrow but also next year and the year after, is really the only thing that keeps me from casting off.
jrd22 and Richard61 like this.
Old 04-19-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Steve, unless you have another source of income, I wouldn't quit your boring and mundane job until you find out how expensive owning and maintaining a boat can be. You might need that paycheck to help you realize your dream.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 04-19-2012

thanks for all the input
Old 04-19-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Cruising can be heaven. Preparing to cruise with a boat needing TLC can be months, sometimes years of hell. You must not be afraid to get dirty, must have a high tolerance for pain, an ability to endure spartan, even primitive, living conditions while the boat of your dreams is a half torn apart nightmare,must be willing to learn new skills in all areas of engineering, electrical, mechanical, structural and chemical, must be mentally prepared for the mind-numbing seemingly endless repetitive tasks like sanding and sanding and sanding and scrubbing and painting, and then you have to be prepared in the foreseeable future to spend money on a regular and sometimes frequent basis for the things on your boat that will fail that didn't get replaced when you first bought her.

Oh, and make sure your girlfriend has the same capabilities, or at least tolerates a toilet that requires pumping and paper conservation.

That is just to get the BOAT ready.

Ask about the "shower and $100 bill" test to see if YOU are ready. No, it doesn't involve strippers.

You still interested?

Then welcome aboard.

Old 04-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Cruising can be heaven. Preparing to cruise with a boat needing TLC can be months, sometimes years of hell. You must not be afraid to get dirty, must have a high tolerance for pain, an ability to endure spartan, even primitive, living conditions while the boat of your dreams is a half torn apart nightmare,must be willing to learn new skills in all areas of engineering, electrical, mechanical, structural and chemical, must be mentally prepared for the mind-numbing seemingly endless repetitive tasks like sanding and sanding and sanding and scrubbing and painting, and then you have to be prepared in the foreseeable future to spend money on a regular and sometimes frequent basis for the things on your boat that will fail that didn't get replaced when you first bought her.

Oh, and make sure your girlfriend has the same capabilities, or at least tolerates a toilet that requires pumping and paper conservation.

That is just to get the BOAT ready.

Ask about the "shower and $100 bill" test to see if YOU are ready. No, it doesn't involve strippers.

You still interested?

Then welcome aboard.
I wouldn't have it any other way.